Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Virus Recommendation (First Time User)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FestersQuest

FestersQuest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

Hello,

I've never used anti-virus before. I don't know why, I guess I never thought about it on Windows XP. Now that I have Windows 7 Home Premium, I want to get something. I've been researching as much as I can, but I could use some advice.

Right now, the only thing I have is the Windows 7 firewall and Zemana anti-malware [Free edition]. I really like both and they work well for me.

I tried Bitdefender's free antivirus and I had so many problems:

1) Couldn't use ctrl+shift+esc to open my task manager. I have no idea why that happened, but after I uninstalled it, it worked fine.

2) When I tried to shut down my PC, it would just freeze.

I really liked the program otherwise, but it just didn't work for me.

I've checked out the av comparison sites and based on everything I've read, it's between Kaspersky and ESET (paid antivirus).

Also, I've been thinking about adding hitmanpro.alert (that's the paid version) as a main malware defender and have Zemana be the passive defense. I'm not sure though.

I'm hoping someone could give their personal recommendation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:43 AM

If you want a Paid Antivirus, I recommend ESET NOD32 or Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

https://www.eset.com/int/

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

If you want a Free Antivirus, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Make sure you ONLY use ONE Antivirus Software, using multiple can cause conflicts.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:23 AM

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software (and annoying prompts to upgrade) except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8/10 Defender.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 FestersQuest

FestersQuest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

Any other suggestions?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

...For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

#6 FindTheWay

FindTheWay

• Banned Spammer
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:57 AM

i use Avast

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:36 PM

i use Avast

If you are going to try BitDefender Free as you indicated in the other topic, don't forget to remove avast first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users