Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Benefits of WinAntiRansom free?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

Hi,

I tried searching but couldn't find a good answer to this: what exact benefit does the free version of WinAntiRansom provide? Is it worth having (compared to not having it at all), and why?

Thank you.

Edited by bcmo, 09 August 2016 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

WinAntiRansom blocks ransomware before it can encrypt data by using a combination of whitelisting, artificial intelligence algorithms and definitions (Smart Recognition) provided though a layered approach of features.
  • Auto Discovery automatically fills the Programs page with programs it discovers and automatically whitelists all known safe programs.
  • Access History provides a list of all files/folders opened by programs not considered safe and not allowed to access the SafeZone.
  • PreEmptive Strike provides information about every time it blocked a program from running.
  • SafeZone prevents ransomware from manipulating documents, photos, music, etc.
  • Network Lockdown provides information when a non-approved program attempts to access files on a network.
  • Registry protection protects important Registry keys from being manipulated by ransomware.
However, I do not know anyone who has personally tested it's protection against an actual ransomware infection.

About WinAntiRansom PLUS WinAntiRansom Documentation
WinAntiRansom Fast Start Guide

BTW...I am not aware of a free version of WinAntiRansom.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

WinAntiRansom blocks ransomware before it can encrypt data by using a combination of whitelisting, artificial intelligence algorithms and definitions (Smart Recognition) provided though a layered approach of features.

Thanks, though I know all that.
I was asking specifically about the free version.

Right here.

(I would attach screen clippings but I see no option to do so here.)

Edited by bcmo, 09 August 2016 - 09:29 PM.

#4 Ivrin

Ivrin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:21 AM

WinAntiRansom doesn't have a free version yet.

From this link: https://www.winpatrol.com/winantiransom

WinAntiRansom DOES NOT provide any protection when run unregistered!

As a user of this program, I can say that it does the job. It will block almost every ransomware you'll try to run.

Sadly, there are too many false positives. I constantly need to add legit programs and games to the whitelist.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:14 AM

Right here.
(I would attach screen clippings but I see no option to do so here.)

The link you provided offers Free & Plus download links only for WinPatrol and WinPrivacy. The Plus versions requires purchase of a key code to activate PLUS features.

#6 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

Here's the direct link.

I don't know why this forum doesn't allow attachments in replies, as I would show you that I have the unregistered version.

Anyway, if the free version doesn't give any protection and isn't worth anything, I will uninstall it. Though I should point out that when I hover my mouse over the WinAntiRansom in the notification area a box appears that says "You are protected!", so I guess they're being dishonest according to what you guys are saying.

Edited by bcmo, 10 August 2016 - 07:43 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

Bret Lowry, Ruiware, LLC is the developer of all WinPatrol related products. I know Bill and doubt he is being dishonest in his advertising. If the tray icon indicates "you are protected", then maybe the developer has decided to offer it as a trial...although I can find no information to indicate that. You can ask about this at the WinAntiRansom Help & Information Support Forum or contact WinAntiRansom Support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users