Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wattage question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

I have two different Asus G750 laptops. One requiring a 180w ac Adapter and the other requiring a 230w ac Adapter. I don't have the 230w Adapter currently so I charged the battery in the 180w required Laptop and put it in the 230w required Laptop battery (which according to Asus, APPARENTLY share the exact same part number for a battery, so the battery should not be a problem, unless the part number is the same but.. Uh, something else needs to be different?) Anyways, battery doesn't work in the 230w unit (works fine in the 180w). I took the 230w unit into a computer repair place and thankfully the computer started up with their underpowered ac Adapter (it was the correct barrel size, only wanted to see if it powered on) but as soon as the laptop was unplugged, it died (on a fully charged battery). The light for the charging circuit was on and it recognized a battery as well as when it was absent but it stated "##% remaining (plugged in, not charging)"

Here is the question** The guy at the repair shop stated that the battery being charged with the lower amperage ac Adapter would not be able to supply enough power (even though it was fully charged with the lower amperage ac adapter) and would need the 11.9 amps instead of the 9.23 from the other Adapter in order for the 230w unit to work on the battery.
Can anyone please tell me if this makes sense, or if I have something worse happening. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:07 PM

Something else has happened to the charging circuit in the questionable LT.  Some adapters have two voltages, one for charging and the other to run the unit.  Dell uses a similar arrangement.  It means you have to go back to the mfgr to get the proper adapter, an off the shelf won't work.  The difference between the adapters tells me that the units are not exactly the same.

#3 Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:06 AM

Yeah, they are both Asus G750 but one has a 765M in it and the other has a thirsty 880M card in it, so that is why the barrel sizes and wattage are different.

Do you think that there is actually something wrong with the laptop still and it's not just because I'm using the wrong ac Adapter? I got the unit from eBay but NOW is the time to try and return it if need be, but I got such a good deal on it and I'd hate to have to get rid of it just because I didn't understand how the ac Adapter work.

Also, since the asus OEM charger is so bloody expensive, I'm looking at getting an HP brick at like 20% of the cost but it matches the volts, amps, watts and barrel size perfectly. I shouldn't have any issues if I purchase this one should I?

And if anyone has any answers efficacy of what the computer shop guy told me: to the battery being charged in the lower amped Laptop with the lower amped charger not being able to run for even a second in the higher amp Laptop because it was not actually charged with a high enough amperage. Does that make sense? It's fully charged but wasn't charged with a 11.9 load so it won't even read the battery's Charge at all?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:01 PM

Things just don't sound tight.  Charging a battery with a specific voltage and current will take a certain amount of time.  A lower wattage adapter would just take a little longer to fully charge.  Many laptops have a small board mounted right at the adapter connector that switches from battery to adapter and charges the battery.  When they go bad, they can destroy(overcharge) a battery, fail to charge at all or power the unit without the battery.

#5 Misdemeanor

Misdemeanor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

Well, I'm guessing to an extent. I understand that not matching voltage closely can have disastrous effects and wattage, if the unit is designed to need 230w off an ac Adapter and I'm running photoshop and today's equivalent of Doom 3 on ultra settings on a inferior Adapter, I know that won't work.

I don't even care much about the charging aspect currently. The main issue is:
I inserted a fully charged battery, charged by a lower watted Adapter in another Laptop, into my unit. The unit will not turn on with the battery alone. When I turn it on with an ac Adapter (currently using a 160w Adapter just to test it, so I don't imagine it would charge it) I read the notification at the bottom and it is recognizing a battery and recognizing when it's removed. What could the issue possibly be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users