Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 system recovery

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pcdumbdumb

pcdumbdumb

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

I'm trying to do a system recovery for hp desktop p7 using hp recovery discs.  I made it all the way through the install to the point were it said it was initializing.  Then I get a "x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" box that says "cannot find the file specified".  Now the whole recovery process seems to have stopped. 

What do I do now? 

Thanks

"My life would be a more satisfying dram, if appropriate music were always playing in the background"-Ashleigh Brilliant-6/1/09.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

I would stop the recovery. Your DVD may be corrupt.

If you do not care about your personal data you can do a factory reset if the recovery partition is intact by tapping F11 at boot. If a later model of HP it may ask you if you want to back up your data to an external drive.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03489643#notebook

#3 pcdumbdumb

pcdumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:14 PM

I ran all 4 recovery discs plus the supplemental disc.  Everything was going fine, then I got the "cannot find the file specified" box with "x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" on the header.

Should I power off the computer and start all over again, or is there something else I could do?

"My life would be a more satisfying dram, if appropriate music were always playing in the background"-Ashleigh Brilliant-6/1/09.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

I would power off and then tap F11 while booting the computer. You may have better luck with using the recovery partition. Are you trying to save any files on the computer. From your post it seems you want to do a factory reset.

#5 pcdumbdumb

pcdumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:50 PM

Yes, trying to do a factory reset.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:52 PM

See my link in post #2. Tapping F11 at boot should bring up your Recovery Manager.

#7 pcdumbdumb

pcdumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

Recovery Manager not working.  I get to a screen that says "system recovery".  From that screen I cannot get to the troubleshoot screen.  Now what?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

Download the Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool and create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. Pick your version, Home or Pro, you currently are using. It will also allow you to download an iso file to use with programs to burn the DVD or create the USB flash drive. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Once you boot the install media follow this step by step for a clean install of Windows 8.1. You may need to install some additional drivers such as your Wifi from your computer support site.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm

When you get to the screen that want you to input your key click next without inputting your key. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 8.1 your key is embedded in firmware and will auto activate when online.

#9 pcdumbdumb

pcdumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:13 PM

I got windows 8.1 on flash drive.  Now computer will not recognize the flash drive.  I've tried changing the boot order, but did not see an option for usb removable device.  I also tried to boot from the boot menu but did not see an option for usb removable device.  Yes I did have the flash drive plugged in.

Now what?   

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

Did you tap F9 at boot?  If you did this then you can download the iso version and use Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive. I never had a problem with a USB created with Rufus. When you start Rufus select GPT partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image and click the icon. Browse to the iso file you downloaded. 

I would also make sure that SecureBoot is disabled in UEFI. Also if there is a Quickboot or Fastboot setting disable it. You flash drive should be detected in UEFI with it attached. 

I can't say it is the same for you but in my BIOS there is a setting in the Boot section you need to highlight and press Enter in order to get to your USB removable settings. See this page on disabling SecureBoot.

Also see this.

#11 pcdumbdumb

pcdumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

I tried to download Rufus and got hyjacked by searchinfast.com.  How do I get rid of this, searchinfast.com keeps hyjacking my search preference.

#12 pcdumbdumb

pcdumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

I should add I am using my laptop an hp G60-235DX running Vista.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

I never ran into that issue with Rufus. You need to start a thread in the Am I infected Forum where an Advisor can give you steps on the removal.

I just downloaded Rufus from it's website and it came up clean.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 August 2016 - 12:51 PM.

#14 pcdumbdumb

pcdumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

Got rid of the searchinfast.com hijack.  Used Norton Power Eraser. 

Could you give me a clean link for Rufus?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:40 PM

I downloaded form Rufu's home page. 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Downloading the portable version should work. I am not sure if the exe file adds the file you deleted but it's not on my system.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.10p.exe

When it asks if you want to check for updates select No.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users