Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't delete Avast anti-virus

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dave1969

dave1969

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:06 PM

I have Windows XP SP3 and my Avast quit updating (definitions and program) a couple of months ago. Their techs said to remove and download latest version. I used add/remove programs and it came up with a repair screen so I tried it.. It downloaded a bunch of files and said it was fixed. It prompted me to restart and I did so. Computer came back up with 2 errors  (1)program error avastui.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows (2) Dr Watson fatal error - unable to attach to process - Windows error code 805306334. MiniToolBox info says app error avastui.exe,kernel 32.dll. Tried to uninstall from add/remove but it won't - nor will CCleaner or Revo uninstaller. Everything tries to uninstall using Avast's uninstall screen.I downloaded the newest Avast from their site before I tried to delete - which may have been a mistake. But after my problem I couldn/t find the new version in my download folder - not sure what happenedf there. I think download manager completed the download. It won't right click delete either. As usual thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

In some instances uninstalling may fail or not work properly when attempting to use Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs). Most anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities (removal tools) on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling, or for a failed uninstall or failed reinstall. Remnants include related registry entries, files and folders created in various areas of the OS.avast_clear_safemode.png
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

BTW...for future reference. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

#4 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for quick response. I downloaded Avastclear.exe just fine but when I run it I don't have a "continue" button on the screen where it lists the program files location,data files location and which avast I'm trying to uninstall info. I tried running it in regular mode and selected run in safe mode and it shut down and restarted in safe mode but I still didn't have a "continue" button so I could proceed. Return or trying to run it from command prompt didn't work either. I called Avast helpline and they could only suggest I put in a ticket on the issue - which I will do. Is there any other way to get it to run? thanks once again

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:50 PM

Unfortunately, no other way that I am aware of to get Avastclear to run.

#6 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

Update- I downloaded IObit uninstaller and tried to remove Avast but it didn't do any good at all. I read where it was the best uninstaller and thought their forced removal tool might do the trick, I've not had any luck with Avast tech support either. I've never messed with the registry before but is there any way to delete it from there ? I'm severely limited in my browsing until I get this fixed for fear of getting a virus.Any new ideas appreciated.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

I do not trust IOBit (EvonSoft.com) products due to the vendor's past history and dubious practices in regards to stealing from Malwarebytes. Please read these BC discussion topics.

#8 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:09 PM

I haven;t made a great deal of progress but I have tried several other uninstallers, Thanks for the info about IObit. I will be very careful, One uninstaller - Geek I believe - didn't remove Avast from program files but it did remove the desktop icon and apparrently a registry key because Avast is no longer listed in add/remove window or as a program in any of the uninstallers. I have stopped getting the AvastUI.exe needs to close error on startup as well. With no way for it to open and it apparently not running could I just install another anti virus without problems? tkanks again

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:53 PM

Depends on what is left of avast after all your removal attempts. Some anti-virus programs may not allow you to proceed with installation if they detect another anti-virus program.

Another option is to reinstall avast anti-virus software and then try uninstalling again with use of the vendor's removal tool.

Before doing so, you may want to check with...

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,445 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

If avast support tries to push a support package for $180 refuse it. It's offered by a third party and there has been a lot of negative feedback. They will offer to take control of your computer. 

Download AutoRuns and search for avast. For any avast listing uncheck the box next to it. After rebooting if everything runs fine you can later remove the avast listings.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 August 2016 - 06:45 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

If avast support tries to push a support package for $180 refuse it. It's offered by a third party and there has been a lot of negative feedback. They will offer to take control of your computer...

Another reason for not recommending avast any more.

#12 Raylonr

Raylonr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

I have tried all the methods above and Avast doesn't come up but I still have  avast entries in my registry .  Should I delete them if possible?

Raylon

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

The Uninstall Utility for Avast should have taken care of those entries but sometimes these removal tools don't always do what they are supposed to do.

I do not recommend editing/removing anything in Windows registry unless you have a good understanding of the registry and make a back up before doing so. Even then, in most cases it really is not necessary to edit the registry in order to remove remnants of security programs unless you are experiencing issues with another anti-virus as a result of their presence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users