Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I deleted my name space file--- Help put it back?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 grrrl

grrrl

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:25 PM

This Grrrl messed up!!! I was trying to speed up my Win 10 OS running google.

Followed a You Tube Video "Run box, type Regedit >Hkey local Machine> software>microsoft>windows>currant version>explorer>remote computer>name space> delete".

My whole desktop was deleted and I don't know what else. I tried System restore but that doesn't work. Where do I find this name space file and reinstall or how do I fix this? Can I get my desktop icons and anything else back? I think my bookmarks stopped working too, they won't open.

This was a free November version of Win 10 so I don't know if I can reinstall it because I don't think it is available anymore. Please help??? :blush:

Thank you for any ideas to fix this. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:37 PM

you can try holding shift while restarting windows it will bring you to a screen with troubleshoot option click troubleshoot then click Microsoft system restore and then pray there is a restore date prior to the deletion of a registry key (for future reference anything that claims to speed up your computer by deleting a registry key is usually a ill advised solution)

also when you redeemed the free version of windows 10 that means you own it, it was basically a voucher for a free version of windows 10 as opposed to a 1 year rental

Source for help doing system restore: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/open-advanced-startup-options-windows-8.htm

windows 10 media creation tool for re-installing windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (incase you want to just delete everything and try again)

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 09 August 2016 - 04:42 PM.

#3 grrrl

grrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:57 AM

Hi Canada guy!!

Thanks for the info. I tried system restore. It failed. I tried advanced system restore. It too failed.

I've read that there are copies of registries in the OS 10 system but I don't know how to access them or install them. I have used cmd prompt (admin) if anyone could give me specific directions on how to do it,I could follow specific directions. I can't afford to buy any fix it programs even if I thought they could fix this problem.

I haven't done a re-install yet because I don't want to loose all my info. But I do have a question concerning  reinstalling and loosing info. Would I loose all of my google info too? I mostly use google. My desktop icons were deleted. Would I loose my google bookmarks? Or has google saved them on their system? 

If you or anyone can give me specific directions on how to fix my registry without a reinstall I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks from this troubled grrrl 

#4 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

grrrl:

Did you try a System Restore when booted into Safe Mode?  Often anti-virus software will cause a System Restore to fail, so disabling it is always advised when doing a System Restore.

Did you try putting adding back the registry subkey?  On my Windows 10 computer, there is just one subkey under NameSpace, which is a CLSID, probably unique to the computer, so I am guessing a System Restore is your best bet.

I am not sure where Google stores its configuration information.  I did find this link that seems to indicate that bookmarks are stored on your computer.

Hope this helps.  Good luck and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

I have 2 win10 computers

--- One of them was upgraded from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro

--- The other one was upgraded from Win8 to Win8.1 to Win10

--- I looked up their NameSpace following the path you provided and each one of those 2 computers have the exact information

I also have 2 Win7 computers and those also have the exact information

Note the data entry is Printers

--- If you know someone who would let you check their computer (especially Win10) w/o making any changes, check out that registry path and see if the Data entry is Printers

Attached File  NameSpace.PNG   28.28KB   0 downloads

I do not know why a Printer entry would affect your computer the way it has

But maybe it’s a RemoteComputer access

Unless someone else can provide a more specific procedure I would try the following even if you don’t have another Win10 computer to check out.

--- Shut off the printer and totally disconnect it including the power cord.

--- Start the computer in Safe Mode w/o Networking and see how it goes

--- Report back with the results

EDIT

In case you need to know how to start Win10 in safe mode w/o networking

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-safe-mode-start-windows-10-a.html#option3

Edited by cmptrgy, 10 August 2016 - 02:25 PM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

Boot your computer with Windows 10 setup media and open Command Prompt type below commands one at time to restore registry hives from Windows created registry backup.

Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SAM           SAM.BAK

Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM    SYSTEM.BAK

Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SECURITY  SECURITY.BAK

Ren C:\windows\system32\config\DEFAULT   DEFAULT.BAK

Ren C:\windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE  SOFTWARE.BAK

Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SAM        C:\windows\system32\config

Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SYSTEM     C:\windows\system32\config

Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SECURITY   C:\windows\system32\config

Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT    C:\windows\system32\config

Copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\SOFTWARE   C:\windows\system32\config

This procedure assumes that Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 is installed to the C:\ partition. Make sure to replace C:\ drive letter to the appropriate Windows OS installed partition drive letter if it is a different location.

When computer boots into WinRE environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Caution! Please read for more information.

After replacing registry hives with backup hives some programs may not work correctly you may need to reinstall any program that is not working.

Edited by FreeBooter, 10 August 2016 - 07:55 PM.

Posted Image

#7 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

If you have deleted this registry key, then it will need to just put back, and that's all.
Here is the content fom current Windows 10 RS1

Copy-paste it on notepad, save as RemoteComputer.reg (nb! important, select all files and Unicode). Then double click on this reg file, if UAC is turned on, enable, then OK - OK and done.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{863aa9fd-42df-457b-8e4d-0de1b8015c60}]
@="Printers"

And if you do not have anything more to be breached, you may need to do reboot (restart), and everything should be back.
Of course, if it was the only one that you deleted.

Warm recommendation. In future I recommend to make changes in the computer only, when you know exactly what you're doing.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:10 PM

Deleting Sub-Keys under NameSpace key will not cause Windows Explorer not to function i thing OP delete other keys without knowing.

Edited by FreeBooter, 10 August 2016 - 08:11 PM.

Posted Image

#9 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

Deleting Sub-Keys under NameSpace key will not cause Windows Explorer not to function i thing OP delete other keys without knowing.

Probably yes, but as he claims, deleted only this key. Strange.  And as you see, he has now completely disappeared.

Maybe in YouTube, looking what next to delete.

Edited by kaljukass, 11 August 2016 - 07:11 AM.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:22 AM

Very funny maybe OP followed one of our suggestions and resolve the issue and maybe thanking us for suggestions and our time is too much for him.

Edited by FreeBooter, 12 August 2016 - 02:24 AM.

Posted Image

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:30 AM

In post #5, I mention "Unless someone else can provide a more specific procedure ..." and you guys have certainly done that.

It's only been 3 days, I'm also hoping for a response.

#12 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

This is just one reason I always recommend two things.  First always make a full system backup before making any significant system change.  Second avoid fooling with the registry lest you run into something like you're seeing.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#13 grrrl

grrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:36 PM

Hi Guys!! Thanks for all of the great options.

Sorry I was out of touch. I had an overwhelming overflowing plumbing problem. Then I had overflow laundry to do at the laundromat.  

Finally I'm back and I'd like to try to replace the registry key as Kaljukass has presented but I'm afraid I don't understand some of the abbreviations; what does UAC mean? ---and how do I "Unicode" all selected files? Can I just copy and past what was on the screen as "Unicode"? Where do I "Unicode" the files? I am a total novice but I want to learn.

I bought a dual core just before the quad cores came out so I have a space problem and a slow shared ( with 15 others) connection. My typing would not even show up in the search bar for 30 seconds to a minute after typing. That is why I was looking for ways to speed up my computer.

I promise not to mess with my registry again! 

Deleting the name space key didn't effect windows, it wiped out my google desktop icons. I don't actually use windows much because I can't afford to buy apps or even word so I use google drive docs etc...because of financial constraints.

I use drive.google.com because I had a resume that I started in a resume program at the employment office and then changed using LibreOffice and and changed again using MS Office Word but then I could not get any of those programs (or others I downloaded to try) to open the resume. I was bummed until I tried drive.google.com/docs which opened it no problem and drive.google/docs became my go to place because I have a lot of docs created using different programs depending what computer I am using school, library, home, or employment dept. and I have the option to save it as MS word or others. 

OOps my Advanced System Care wants me to shut down Chrome so that It can fix my computer issues. will check back for answers sooner this time.

Thankful grrrl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users