Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Win 7 failed after Win 10 upgrade failure

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rectified

Rectified

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:23 PM

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   1.54MB   0 downloads

Hi folks,

After upgrading to Win 10, my laptop was unable to successfully reboot, and the attempt to rollback to Win 7 failed, so that I can only access Win 7 safe mode. I did see a brief welcome screen for Win 10, so I know that the install upgrade completed to that extent. I would like help deciding how and whether to complete the install of 10 (if the activation "took"), or how to restore access to Win 7.

Grateful for any help.

Lee

Dell Inspiron Win 7 HP 64-bit

(unable to run perfmon /report)

Edited by Rectified, 10 August 2016 - 02:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:20 AM

This gets a bit complicated.  You can have installed W10, but if it didn't activate you won't get the digital entitlement.

But, if you tried to install prior to the 29 July deadline, you may be able to contact Microsoft for:

- free assistance in installing W10

- extended time to activate (as the original install was done 'on time').

The first thing to do is to open a case with Microsoft Support.
They may be able to establish that you were attempting to upgrade before the free offer expired.
And, they may be able to help you get the upgrade sorted out.
Here's the link for that:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/

Meanwhile:

- backup your stuff to removeable media

- order recovery media from Dell for the W7 installation (in the US:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html#dell )

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users