Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PSU Placement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wetmonday

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

I hope this message is posted in the correct place!

I was wondering if you would be able to assist me please.

I have two Crosair power supplies and need advice on fitting them.

The first one is a CS560M power supply going into a Crosair Carbide case. I added  fans to the case so now it has: two fans on the top, two on the front and one on the rear. The case has a bottom mount for the PSU fitting, and at the bottom of where it goes is a small mesh filter.  My question is should I fit the PSU with the fan pointing upwards (towards the MB) or downwards (towards the mesh?)

The second case is a mates old NZXT case with a top mount for the PSU.  The case has no top vents, only front, side and back vents where he has fitted fans.  His old PSU is rubbish so I ordered him a Crosair VS450 to replace it.  As the old PSU didn’t have a fan, and so in a similar manner  I am stuck as to whether  to fit this PSU in this NZXT case with the fan pointing downwards (towards the MB) or with the fan pointing upwards (towards the top of the case?)

I hope this is all clear and you will be able to assist me.

I look forward to hearing from you over the next few days.

Best wishes

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2016 - 04:29 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

Normally it's air in through bottom and front, and out through top and back. (Up and out because heat rises).

#3 TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:03 PM

depends on what surface the case will be sitting on, if its carpet have it blowing into the case if its elevated enough off of the floor have it blow out of the case but a good rule of thumb is hot air rises and cold air sinks so plan accordingly

#4 oklahsam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

I feel like it's just safest to place it where the PSU will get the best airflow. Facing down on a bottom mount is nice since it keeps the air it uses separate from the main chassis, but I wouldn't trust it to have decent airflow on anything other than a hard surface. 

For the NZXT case... it sounds like there's no vent on top for the PSU fan, so definitely face the fan down into the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users