Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network printer stops next morning, DNS issue?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jim_ea

jim_ea

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

In one of our department we have several windows 7 clients that use a Legacy application, every morning, we must do a ipconfig /flushdns along with nbtstat -R, arp -d accompanied with a reboot, then users can print again via the application for entire work day. When they come back in next morning the DNS flush...etc process must be repeated otherwise the App hangs spinning when press the print button.  I was thinking DNS cache is expiring and App is try to still use it next morning...etc   I don't know if this is a DC issue or client pc issue. Same happens for other network printers used in the Application, hang, until to the temp fix...etc.

For testing, I editing our test pc so the local DNS cache is disabled or set to "1" using MaxDNScacheTTL = 1 and believe it or not, printing worked fine for the 1st time in the morning without DNS flush...etc.  So, this leads me to believe maybe client's local DNS cache is not being deleted properly, or, the Legacy App is not using the new cache possibly..etc   It appears the client PCs sit over night and DNS cache expires causing the printing issue in the morning. 

* Both print server and printers are all static IPs.

Edited by jim_ea, 10 August 2016 - 12:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users