Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I duplicate a user account?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

I would like to duplicate an administrator account on a Toshiba laptop and turn the copy in to a standard user account for security reasons. Is there a way to do this, and if there is, how do I do so? Configuring an account from scratch with many settings and preferences would really be awful. 

Thank you!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

If I understand what you mean...I would simply create a new account and then duplicate the contents of the admin account.

Google Content

Louis

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:16 PM

OK, thanks for you help. Is there a way to make my photos, downloads, and documents synchronized? (Shared folders?)

Thank you!

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

Copy...paste...is my method for duplicating data files.  I copy the file. group of files, or folder...and just paste them in the new location I desire.

Louis

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

You can't just duplicate an account. I went through this before. As hamluis says, you must make the new account and copy your files, change the settings, etc, manually.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:55 PM

Copy...paste...is my method for duplicating data files.  I copy the file. group of files, or folder...and just paste them in the new location I desire.

Louis

OK, thanks for your help. Not going to copy and paste 56 GB of photos. :-) I think I may just turn my administrator account into a standard user account and create a new administrator account. I guess I don't need personal photos and documents in an admin account when all I do in that account is administrator duties …

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

You can't just duplicate an account. I went through this before. As hamluis says, you must make the new account and copy your files, change the settings, etc, manually.

Yes, it seems to be the case. :-(

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

O.K., this is a silly question … but why can I change my account type when I'm a "standard user" back to an administrator? Is that normal? I've never actually used a standard user account in my life.

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:26 PM

O.K., this is a silly question … but why can I change my account type when I'm a "standard user" back to an administrator? Is that normal? I've never actually used a standard user account in my life.

Because you are a standard user. Only an Admin can grant administrative privileges. 

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:14 PM

Because you are a standard user. Only an Admin can grant administrative privileges. 

I literally mean this:

I was an administrator (Account A). I logged in to another administrator account (Account B) to turn Account A in to a standard user account. When I logged back in to Account A (Account A was now a standard user account), Account A had the privileges to change Account A back to an administrator account. Is that normal?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by bwv848, 10 August 2016 - 05:24 PM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:52 PM

As you already know, there are two admin-level accounts to avoid meddling with :) Trusted Installer and the built-in Administrator accounts. Always ensure you're adjusting only the accounts you created.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:04 PM

As you already know, there are two admin-level accounts to avoid meddling with :) Trusted Installer and the built-in Administrator accounts. Always ensure you're adjusting only the accounts you created.

Thanks for the reminder! Of course, I'm only adjusting my own created accounts. Definitely will NEVER touch those two accounts. :nono:

#13 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:16 PM

You must login/logout with the affected account to change its permissions. As in, Account A must be logged out, and then logged in again before it will change.

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• Topic Starter

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:44 PM

You must login/logout with the affected account to change its permissions. As in, Account A must be logged out, and then logged in again before it will change.

Thanks, that worked! I should've thought of that, but Windows didn't warn me that I had to do that, so I concluded I didn't need to do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users