Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Anniversary Update is infested with bugs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:57 AM

This is an opinion article from CIO.

Microsoft's massive Windows 10 Anniversary Update has caused major problems for some users, and at this point it's a good idea to avoid the OS completely until the company squashes some of the bigger bugs.

Article

Some additional issues posted on Reddit. These have been confirmed by poster Rocky Bennitt

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4vyifo/bug_windows_10_anniversary_update_tanked/

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 August 2016 - 10:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:16 AM

Windows Ten where every customer is a perpetual unpaid beta tester.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

More like Alpha.  :crazy:

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,634 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

Currently running Windows 10 AU and didn't encounter any issue so far.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:58 AM

In the last week I put the Anniversary Update on 30 PCs, 2 laptops and 28 Dell Optiplex 780 desktops with no problems.  I have the Norton Security Suite I get from Comcast, and it's just fine, the 28 desktops are using the free AVG with no problems.  YMMV.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:30 AM

Wonder why these glitches affect some and not others. Here's another related article along the same lines as JohnC_21 post.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-watch-out-for-these-nasty-surprises/?ref=yfp

Edited by sikntired, 09 August 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

Wonder why these glitches affect some and not others. Here's another related article along the same lines as JohnC_21 post.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-watch-out-for-these-nasty-surprises/?ref=yfp

Prior to the update, admins could edit Group Policy settings to stop ads for apps showing in the Start menu and on the lock screen.

However, Windows 10 Pro users will lose that ability, and, following the update, disabling these ads via Group Policy settings will only be available to those running Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Pro Education, or Windows 10 Education editions.

Get ready for the Candy Crush ads. 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,634 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:49 AM

Honestly, we don't have these disabled (on the lockscreen), and I haven't encountered a single ad yet. Only a changing lockscreen and some of them are actually quite nice.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,842 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

Well, I've had one obvious bug with the AU that I've already posted about:  losing the jump lists on the start menu, but other than that it's been fine.

I am not discounting the problems other people are encountering, but when you consider the amount of different types of hardware, and a lot of it not "certified for Windows 10 upgrade" by the respective manufacturers, that have been upgraded anyway you are bound to hit problems, and will hit more of them, as time goes on.  Microsoft has certainly made a mess of certain things all by themselves, but some of the messes are the direct result of users going out on a limb, upgrading hardware that while it may have passed the screening checks, was not recommended for Windows 10 upgrade by the very company that made it.  You really can't blame Microsoft, at least nowhere near 100%, for that and from what I've seen there's lots of that going on.

On the note of settings that are being taken away, so far if I've had any of these set to non-default state they've stayed in that state on upgrade even if I have no easy access to change that setting now other than a registry edit.  Also, turning off the "Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps (turning this off will reset your ID)," has been 100% effective for me in avoiding any ads within the Windows 10 environment itself since the first day I loaded Windows 10.  I can't believe that this is a fluke.  Microsoft does give you a way to ad block in the OS environment at the flip of a switch.  The effort do do that one time, immediately after Windows 10 install/upgrade, is hardly onerous.  I would hope that people make it a fairly standard practice, and before Windows 10, to do settings customization as part of their initial setup of their OS, regardless of the OS.  There's not an OS maker out there who can magically select defaults to suit each and every user, and they shouldn't try.

Edited by britechguy, 09 August 2016 - 12:27 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

More like Alpha.  :crazy:

Yet, still unpaid.   :lol:

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#11 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:05 PM

Well, I think I got updated

I was really surprised that it didnt take a reboot or freeze my PC, like all the other times I got updates

My version must not have gotten many changes. I did read that most of the changes effected touch screens and Cortona, both are things I dont use

#12 trozar

trozar

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

I have actually had major issues with the AU, so much that i rolled back to the old build until I can get some help with the issues. 

I got 3 Blue Screens almost immediately from it

Kernel Security Check Failure

Page Fault in Not Fault Area

DPC Watchdog Violation

I dont have any Solid state disks, I was pretty much just trying to use Firefox while the Security failure showed up.  Then I tried

doing a system file check and got another.  and then while trying to get a system restore i received the 3rd watchdog violation.  I booted into safe mode, ran a couple security programs, adwcleaner, malwarebytes as I wasnt sure what was causing any of the issues.  Those scans came back clean.  I updated to the AU Yesterday morning, used the pc almost all afternoon with no issues, this morning, different story.

I'm curious if anyone can give me a little advice as to what I need to do before I have to inevitably update to it.....

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users