Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi adapter won't "Connect"

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 baobab

baobab

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:00 AM

In Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections there "WiFi" is 'not connected' with a big red X
When I right click on that icon a menu comes up saying Disable
                                                                                             Connect/Disconnect (in bold letters)
                                                                                             Status
                                                                                             Diagnose etc
Disable works and then so does Enable, but 'Connect' does absolutely nothing.

Please help me re-connect this Qualcomm Atheros adapter

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 August 2016 - 05:38 PM.
moved from Windows 8 to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:47 AM

Delete the Wifi profile for the device you are trying to connect to and create a new one. Does that help?

If this happened recently then doing a System Restore may help. I always recommend that any files added to the desktop after the restore data be moved to the My Documents folder. Any programs installed after the restore data would need to be reinstalled.

#3 baobab

baobab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:57 AM

Thanx for your reply. It is "off" because I accidentally clicked 'Forget It' somewhere this morning, so System Restore would be a bit drastic.

Where and how do I create a new WiFi profile in Win8.1? In CP?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:06 AM

By clicking Forget It I believed you have deleted the profile.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e0ffdfc3-e146-4cf8-80b3-b64c4572ae77/i-accidentaly-i-clicked-on-forget-this-conection?forum=w8itproinstall

If you know your router SSID you can also add it manually.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22144/~/how-to-manually-add-a-wireless-profile-in-windows-8

#5 baobab

baobab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

I have no idea where to find the 'credentials'

Manually enter the required credentials for the wireless network

Please could you be kind enough to explain how a 'Dummy' like me finds the SSID etc etc?

Thank you very much. Those links are most useful, but for both I need the credentials.

#6 baobab

baobab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:39 AM

I don't know what the "wireless network icon is"

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

Do you have a wireless icon in the system tray. You should see your router's SSID shown when you click on it if it is set to broadcast. Click on your wireless network icon and it should ask for a password. Do you know your Wifi password? If you have a gateway provided by your ISP it could be on a sticker.

A6200c.JPG

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 August 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#8 baobab

baobab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

I don't have that 5 bar icon. I have a screen thing and when I click on it it pops up Troubleshoot Problems and Network & Sharing Centre.

For manual entry I need 'Network Name', 'Security Type', 'Encryption Type' and 'security key'?

I'd appreciate your guidance on where to find these. (I have opened my router via 192.168.1.1)

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:31 AM

Did you run the Troubleshooter? Run the network adapter troubleshooter.  If  you do not see the wireless icon then you cannot add a wifi network. Is there a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager next to your Wifi Network Adapter?

Edit: Are you on a normal desktop in Windows 8? Press the Windows key + D to get to a normal desktop showing your system tray.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 August 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#10 baobab

baobab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

My system tray is apparrantly normal, but the 5 bar icon is replaced with a little screen icon. The Qualcomm Atheros wireless network adapter is running OK and has updated drivers, but is 'not connected', ie in CP\Network and Internet\Network Connections, WiFi is 'Not Connected' and when I right click that the 'Connect/Disconnect' option in bold, does nothing

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

Does method one in this guide bring back your Wifi?

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/10/how-to-fix-limited-or-no-connectivity-wi-fi-issues-in-windows-8/

#12 baobab

baobab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

No. You see I have WiFi, but not via the inbuilt Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Network Adapter, which refuses to 'Connect', which is my current dilemma.

Thanks for all those links, but they don't seem to apply here.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:58 PM

Can you connect when using Ethernet?

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:00 PM

Try this which will work if you know the information shown in the 3rd screenshot.

Open Control Panel.

Click Network and Sharing Center to open it.

Do you see Set up a new connection or network? If so, click it
6TzNyo4.png

Use the option for Manually connect to a wireless network
SX1HbmQ.png

Enter the information, click Next, see if it connects.
K75juxR.png

#15 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

Do you have any secondary wireless programs like Dell Wireless Utility? If so, try uninstalling that and make sure the WLAN autoconfig is set to autostart under Windows Key + R > Services.msc. Many times a 3rd party wireless utility will be trying to control one aspect of the wireless adapter while Windows controls another. This is often caused by a update to one of the 2 conflicting utilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users