Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can HDD that has been used for Storage still be used for Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 araragi

araragi

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:22 AM

My laptop's HDD has been blue screening so I ordered a new HDD. However I don't have any way of installing Windows 7 onto that new HDD for my laptop, so I just used it on my desktop as storage. I already used 500 gb/1 tb and was wondering if I can still download Windows on this HDD and transfer it from my desktop to my laptop?

Also I still need a way to download Windows 7 on the HDD for my laptop.

Just leaving it out there but my desktop is Windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:40 AM

You could simply clone the old drive contents (all partitions) to the new drive, assuming that the new drive is large enough to do such.  That would result in the transfer of the complete contents of the old hard drive...to the new drive.

Louis

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

Cloning is definitely a good idea, assuming that you can transfer the 500G currently on the new HDD to another drive.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:54 AM

But the old drive has bad sectors and I heard that the bad sectors will also get cloned over.

Are bad sectors being cloned over a trivial thing?

Also, is there a free cloning software I can use?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:12 PM

Bad sectors...can be a major item, can be trivial.  I consider bad sectors to be an indication of a drive with possible problems, as opposed to some who consider "bad sectors" to be this kiss of death.  There are other factors to be considered and I believe more data than you have posted...would have to be viewed for a conclusive opinion.

Yes, cloning a partition/drive with bad sectors...is likely (IMO) to be an ineffective way of trying to overcome a failing or troubled hard drive.  A clone is an identical copy. 

I urge you to read and follow the instructions provided below.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs.

Louis

FWIW:  I don't understand why you are using a hard drive for storage...but don't want to use it for the O/S.  It would seem that you are willing to lose data files stored on that drive...but unwilling to lose the O/S.

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2016 - 12:15 PM.

#6 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

Here is MTB http://puu.sh/qycRq/a864472803.txt

And here is speccy

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5RZezzgawzPTqESefmb7l0Q

I don't have the broken HDD on the same computer. It's still on my laptop. I think it is a 250 GB HDD. The new HDD I got has 1 TB.

I was using the HDD for storage because I could not figure out how to use it on my laptop. I temporary wanted it installed in my desktop so I can download more files such as videos and games.

Is it possible to clone my laptop's broken HDD to the new HDD without losing data on either HDD?

The data on the new HDD isn't that important, but if possible, I would like to keep both.

Edited by araragi, 11 August 2016 - 08:12 PM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:50 PM

I have both cloned and full imaged many a drive, and so have many others here.  Help me make sure I understand:

You want to transfer the OS and 3rd party programs from the failing HD onto the new 1TB HD, correct?

The new 1TB HD contains some material, games, downloads, which the original HD does not have, correct?

Are the games and other downloads to be installed "within" the Windows OS, after said Windows OS is transferred from old to new HD, correct?

What external media do you have -- usb boot sticks?  dvd boots?  external storage like DVD blanks, 128GB+ usb sticks, external HD[s]?

To the best of your knowledge -- are any present programs and/or data folders/files on your original HD having problems 'cause of bad sectors?

Depending upon your answers to my first question set, I believe I have a possible solution set which you will not like if you are wanting an EZ-Single-Pass operation.  I have been where you are now, I have geekily, and I mean geekily, done what you desire to do several times.

One time was a spectacular failure, I learned some things the hard way.  A couple of times were so-so, yawning success, no parades.

Last time was aok, because people helped me who were brlilliant in hardware and software -- like Hamlius, dc3, Aura, and others who are here.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 August 2016 - 08:54 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:04 PM

I only see one problem and that would be to get the new drive to boot.  To install the OS it would first ask for a format and that would wipe everything on the new drive.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

araragi, if you're familiar with anything similar to either Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect, I think it's possible to full image our way to what you want.  If you do any cloning, the target HD will lose everything already on it, target HD will only have what was on the source HD -- so full imaging is probably going to be your best bet to save everything that has not been compromised by bad sectors.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:29 PM

To protect the 500GB of data on the 1TB drive create a new partition of at least 500GB. Copy all your data to the new secondary partition. Delete the original partition to give you unallocated space at the front of the disk. Then use Macrium's Partition Image function to image the bad drive's partitions. Because it's 250GB you will have approx 250GB of unallocated space left after the partition imaging. You can use a partition manager to either expand the partition in the 250GB space or expand you 500GB+ partition you initially created. The downside of this is you would need an extra external drive to hold the 250GB drive partition images.

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:34 PM

@JohnC_21

Not sure if that would work though. After all, the clone would still have to wipe the partition table...

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:03 PM

I may of misunderstood. I thought the OP had a 1TB drive being used only for data backup with 500GB of data and they wanted to put an image of the 250GB drive on the 1TB drive without losing any data.

#13 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:09 PM

That is what I understand too, but I'm not sure it is possible to do what you say without data loss and having the TB drive bootable too.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:12 PM

Now that I am thinking more about this I believe you are right. I have an old drive I can try it on but I am sure you are correct.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:33 AM

JohnC, ScathE, I was hoping thread starter could "full image" his way to saving his OS and his data folders/files safely onto the new 1TB HD, eventually making said 1TB HD bootable, and then retiring the original HD that has the beginnings of "bad sectors."  I saw this 1TB HD replacing the original HD.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding also?

[And, I forgot to ask thread starter what partitions are on the original and on the new hard-drives.]

Edited by RolandJS, 12 August 2016 - 04:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users