Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canon Pixma Printer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:56 AM

More specifically the MG4250. Bought last December as a replacement for a MG3250 (paper feed broke). This machine has just 'died' on me after barely 8 months usage. Everything checked. Nothing. Dont need help fixing or anything i just need opinions on this make and model before i replace it.

Apart from the apparent faults that have led to the demise of each Canon printer, i have otherwise been quite happy with them. Print quality and speed is good for my needs and i have found this latest machine particularly economical with ink. WiFi is better than some other makes too. Dont like the software that comes with it but you dont have to use it!

Big question (probably rhetorical) is whether to stick with the make/model or try something else. If you have had a particular make/model go wrong would you stay with it or not if you were otherwise happy with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:51 AM

Is it just dead or it turns on but doesn't print? As with anything today, they don't make things like they used to. That being said I would stick with Canon. They seem to have the best driver support out of all the companies that are still making inkjets.

You should still be under Warranty on the printer. I would contact Canon. For a printer that goes out after only 8 months they would possibly exchange it for a new one.

http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/telephone_numbers/

#3 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

Dead as in no power. However i seem to have fixed it (for now). Contacted Canon Support and the (quick) reply that came back included the suggestion to try a different power lead. I had checked the fuse which had made no difference, but decided it was worth a try. Powered up OK, if a bit slugishly. Tested main functions, all OK. Might have been the cable, might be a dodgy connection, will have to see how it goes. 

What rang alarm bells is that at the same time the printer stopped working the power in the house cut off ('tripped'). Now i cant tell if the power outage affected the printer or whether a problem with the printer caused the power to cut out. Again will have to see what happens in the future.

Thanks for reply.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:24 AM

Your Welcome,

I doubt the printer cause the house issue. That would have only blown one fuse or tripped a breaker which I don't believe would have affected the whole house. Glad you got it fixed. At least Canon should have a ticket on the problem and if it fails again it should be covered under warranty.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Just for information, it is possible that a relatively small electrical fault can cause all the trips to go out. Most houses in the UK now use RCD type circuit breakers and it is certainly possible for a fault condition to take out not only the trip on the circuit but also the main trip. This was particularly common with filament type light bulbs. Sometimes they just died quietly, sometimes they killed all the lights on that circuit because the trip tripped, and sometimes they also tripped the main breaker - in which case everything went out. That's why I keep a torch on top of the electricity meter.

Standard warranty on things like printers in the UK is 12 months. Take it up with your supplier not Canon. If necessary look up the 'Sale of Goods Act' and expressions like 'fit for purpose' and 'merchantable quality' and be prepared to quote..

Chris Cosgrove

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

Just for information, it is possible that a relatively small electrical fault can cause all the trips to go out. Most houses in the UK now use RCD type circuit breakers and it is certainly possible for a fault condition to take out not only the trip on the circuit but also the main trip. This was particularly common with filament type light bulbs. Sometimes they just died quietly, sometimes they killed all the lights on that circuit because the trip tripped, and sometimes they also tripped the main breaker - in which case everything went out. That's why I keep a torch on top of the electricity meter.

Standard warranty on things like printers in the UK is 12 months. Take it up with your supplier not Canon. If necessary look up the 'Sale of Goods Act' and expressions like 'fit for purpose' and 'merchantable quality' and be prepared to quote..

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks for this info Chris. In the U.S. it's pretty hard to trip the Main breaker. We call the RCD type breaker a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) that are built into sockets located in the kitchen and bathroom but that is as far as it goes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users