Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash Pen Drive versus USB External Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:19 AM

What are the pros / cons of a Pen Drive and External SSD HD of similar capacities? I have read a blurb saying apartf rom extra storage the HD improves system performance (such as faster boot) and integrates with the internal drive whatever that means. Is thi true of External USB HDs in general.

Can an External Drive be used as part of the Anniversary Update procedure (as was the case with the original 10 Upgrade clean re-installs? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

I'm not clear on what you're trying to get at here.
What, specifically, are you wanting to do with the drive(s)?

FWIW - I use a 128 gB flash drive for stuff that I intend to transfer to other computers on a regular basis (it's a very good flash drive).

I use several 500gB/1tB external USB drives to store large information that I'm not likely to use on a regular basis. (for storage rather than speed)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

I have to get another drive so that a tech on MS Support Chat can carry out an Anniversary update for me. The free space on my small SSD is nowhere near enough even after everything which can be deleted / moved has been, so I have been advised that it can be done via a clean re-install for which a bootable USB drive, 16 GB plus, is required. I just wondered if there was any benefit in paying a bit more for an external USB HDD if it offered additional features as well as much more storage. Anyway, I now have the impression it has to be a USB Flash drive, not a HDD, for reasons I do not understand. So I have ordered a 32 GB Flash drive. Sometime I may still get an external HDD if there are advantages to it. My SSD is only 30GB to start with. 

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:15 AM

If you get another USB drive, you'll have plenty of storage left over.  The downside is that the it will be a bootable drive.

If you get a flash drive, you can then reformat it and use it however you'd like

You can make the USB HDD bootable - but it's not as easy as doing it with a flash drive

I think that using the USB HDD for long term storage while using a USB Flash Drive for things that'll change (and for portability) will be your best bet.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

Thanks very much, that is the straightforward advice I was looking for. I have now ordered a 32 GB Flash drive. I have just read an article dealing specifically with the Anniversary update for small devices, ie.SSD around 30 GB.

I think I might try to do it myself rather than with the help of MS Support. I have downloaded the MCT in preparation. On my 2-in-1 Tablet Windows Upgrade Assistant reports that 16 GB of free space is required. I have found four different statements in articles and from MS techs claiming that the requirement is 4 GB to 20 GB. The last tech said 8 GB. There are ways of upgrading / updating small devices but Microsoft does not seem to be doing a good job of informing people (including its own techs). This seems strange, given its desire to make W 10 a 'universal' OS for a great variety of devices.   

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:17 PM

You must reformat the USB flash drive almost every 10 years if you will use it for data backup and wont use the USB flash drive almost 10 years you will need to reformat the USB drive as USB flash drivers can hold charge for almost 10 years after that all the data will be lose.

Posted Image

#7 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:11 AM

Removed to protect poster. ~ OB   ---- does this look like it is my W 10 Key?

I could not do the Anniversary update. The Media Creation Tool says C needs 8 GB free, I have only 5 GB, plus the Flash Drive bought for the purpose.

So I went back to MS Support Chat.  I terminated the session when the technician wanted to charge me nearly one hundred GB pounds to get a fresh re-install and the update. He claimed this charge is well known. Is it?

Further advice on how to do the update myself would be appreciated.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

Run "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) from a Command Prompt.

If it says that your system is permanently activated - then that hardware is registered as being digitally entitled to W10

DON'T PAY FOR THIS - it's most likely a scam.

How did you get the phone number for these people?

Have you scanned your system for malware?

Could you be infected?  It's possible that malware has corrupted your current protection, so please try a couple of these, independent scans (from this link: https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA15-286A ).  This is in case your current protection is compromised by malware and giving false results:

F-Secure
           https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/online-scanner (link is external)

McAfee
           http://www.mcafee.com/uk/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx (link is external)

Microsoft
           http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx (link is external)

Sophos
           https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/virus-removal-tool.aspx (link is external)

Trend Micro
           http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ (link is external)

The above are examples only and do not constitute an exhaustive list. The U.S. Government does not endorse or support any particular product or vendor.

If you do find infections, I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum to ensure that all the bad stuff has been removed:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

PS - you'll have to look at freeing up some space on your C: drive.  Windows likes 15% free space on all drives, but you can get away with 10% on most larger drives before you start noticing a performance penalty.

Edited by usasma, 11 August 2016 - 12:45 PM.

#9 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

OB ----- thanks for removing my Product Key ---- I did not know this was an issue, I wont do it again!

USAMASA --- I got the "This machine is permanently activated" response, so that is OK..

Regarding the 'charge for updating', although in my annoyance I accused the tech of a 'scam' it was not meant literally.  I am confident that I was communicating with a genuine MS advisor, no malware corruption, etc. I was not on the phone, I was engaged in a Chat in MS Support. There may have been a misunderstanding. When I was asked for my Product Key I replied that I could not find it (at short notice) as it is not in Settings, Control Panel or anywhere else I tried. I now think this was taken to mean I had not got one, and the fee is for someone without a Key. After leaving the Chat I found the Key I quoted earlier (now removed) with Speccy and with Belarc Advisor. As the Key is now confirmed (thanks for the link) I will probably try Chat again tomorrow, drawing attention to the misunderstanding.

Two things I find unhelpful about MS Support is that every (without exaggeration) tech / advisor tells me something different, very often contradicting each other, plus they do not seem to be well informed about issues involving small devices.

I simply cannot create any more free space on my SSD. Absolutely everything that can be moved or deleted has been. All that is on C is the OS. Unless of course there is something I cannot see. Invisible files should not be removed anyway, should they?  The techs have only found empty folders. Also I assume a clean re-install would remove anything unnecessary, lurking unseen? 

#10 KB0

KB0

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:30 AM

Two things (eg, differences) I have discovered using both over the years:

Some functions will not be available when using a USB (removable) drive:

Specifically, some programs will not permit a system image to be generated and stored on this type of drive. I believe the inherent Win 7/10 system imaging process is one of them.

Some functions will be less intuitive when using an external (local) drive:

Specifically, it would be a waste to try and use it (in lieu of a removable drive) when creating a bootable disk for a specific function (eg, Macrium rescue disk, etc.). In fact, some programs will not even recognize anything but a removable disk.

In summary, my recommendation would be to keep a few USB removable drives on hand (8GBs would be adequate) and install a larger USB external drive (USB3 preferred) for storage, imaging and system backups.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Different techs have different ways of troubleshooting things.

Usually, when you get contradicting info, it's because the problem hasn't been fully isolated - so the tech is trying to solve problems based on limited info.

In a shop like mine, with several techs, we can consult with each other.  But the online support that Microsoft offers is just you and the tech.  And the tech wants to solve your problem quickly, so they try different things - some of which may contradict what others have said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users