Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

please tell me what OS this is, thanks

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 speed51ck

speed51ck

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:45 AM

what2.png

i want to have this operating system, please take a look at screenshot and tell me what is name of this, thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:38 AM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer,

I've never seen it before, but the fact that it has Telnet in the menu indicates that the operating system is old, and therefore most likely no longer supported.

"No longer supported" in Linux, means that the system will be vulnerable due to not receiving security updates, and the included software will also be old and outdated. You would not be able to install software from the repositories, because they will no longer be active.

If you would like advice on what Linux operating systems might be suitable for you and your computer, please start a new thread with an appropriate title.

#3 speed51ck

speed51ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer,

I've never seen it before, but the fact that it has Telnet in the menu indicates that the operating system is old, and therefore most likely no longer supported.

"No longer supported" in Linux, means that the system will be vulnerable due to not receiving security updates, and the included software will also be old and outdated. You would not be able to install software from the repositories, because they will no longer be active.

If you would like advice on what Linux operating systems might be suitable for you and your computer, please start a new thread with an appropriate title.

thanks for reply, it will have new version too with receiving updates i think, ill wait for someone will recognize this

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

No problem, and you're welcome.

I'm curious though, why is it that you want this particular operating system?

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:40 AM

If you have access to this machine you can try some Terminal Commands, are you familiar with the Terminal, like CMD in Windows?  

The Commands don't always work either but there easy enough to try.  Maybe a Wallpaper would give a clue, then we could find the proper command to use, they are distro specific in many cases.  See if you can find the Desktop Wallpaper Choices and take a look, maybe you will see one with the distro name.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 speed51ck

speed51ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:48 AM

If you have access to this machine you can try some Terminal Commands, are you familiar with the Terminal, like CMD in Windows?  

The Commands don't always work either but there easy enough to try.  Maybe a Wallpaper would give a clue, then we could find the proper command to use, they are distro specific in many cases.  See if you can find the Desktop Wallpaper Choices and take a look, maybe you will see one with the distro name.

ii got this screenshot from Mr. Robot S02E05, so if i had access to terminal i would do that but i dont have

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

What Linux distribution was being used by Elliot in the TV series Mr. Robot?

Kali Linux. Its clearly identifiable in episode 5, where he ssh's into the cops computer.

Is that the one? If so, it's designed for experienced penetration testers and not beginners, but here it is here:

https://www.kali.org/

#8 speed51ck

speed51ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:08 AM

What Linux distribution was being used by Elliot in the TV series Mr. Robot?

Kali Linux. Its clearly identifiable in episode 5, where he ssh's into the cops computer.

Is that the one? If so, it's designed for experienced penetration testers and not beginners, but here it is here:

https://www.kali.org/

i got some experience with kali linux on gnome, and it comes with desktop like this too?

#9 speed51ck

speed51ck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:10 AM

i think i found better os that this one, https://sites.google.com/site/chaletoslinux/

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

Good work Al, that made me laugh!

@speed51ck, I think this is the best advice, we see a lot of newcomers to linux and can provide many opinions based on what you want and your pc specs.  Using more popular distro's is also a good idea - IMO - so that you can get help easily.  If I were choosing a new distro, I would look at their support forum to see how much help and activity is going on there.  You could also go with one of the more popular distro's folks are using here, because this is a great Forum!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

i got some experience with kali linux on gnome, and it comes with desktop like this too?

It uses the Debian installer, so you can choose which desktop you want during installation. The new version of Gnome is nothing like the old one; the Mate desktop would be the closest thing to the old version of Gnome.

i think i found better os that this one

I've never heard of that one, but have used Xubuntu on which it is based.

Now that your original question has been answered, this thread has run its course.

Please start a new thread if you wish to discuss anything else.

Edited by Al1000, 09 August 2016 - 11:21 AM.

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:44 AM

Just a postscript - Dharma, XBMC and Kodi is the equation, all around the 2010 - 2011 region

This from https://kodi.tv/dharma-branched/

K302aa8.png

And the dead giveaway to Mr Robot was Ray Heyworth.

Yes, they referred to Kali (perhaps Backtrack at that stage), but no, this wasn't it.

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users