Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xirw

Xirw

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:40 PM

Randomly today my computer wasnt able to get pass the bios splash screen. I found out it was my Seagate Backup Plus Desktop 5tb external hard drive causing this issue.

Unplugging it and it booted normal. While inside Windows I plugged it in and everything froze. I plugged it in via bios and the goddamn bios froze.

So I unplugged it from the wall (its always plugged in even when the computer is off) and plugged it back in to try again as a last hope and miraculously its working.

After its worked I did a bunch of HDD health tests and it is "good" Also the HDD is less than a year old.

I have a ton of important stuff on there and am not able to backup the drive, is this something I have to worry about? Will my HDD fail soon?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xirw

Xirw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:27 AM

Bump

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:59 AM

It's hard to say. A drive can test good and then fail the next day. If this data is as important as you say it is I would back it up to a secondary device or even the cloud. Is there some reason you cannot back up the data on the external? Important data should be backed up to two locations. Amazon gives unlimited data storage for $60 dollars a year which is a fair price.

Run GsmartControl. Under the Attributes tab pay special attention to Reallocated Sectors and Pending Sectors. If those increase by a large amount in a short period of time it would indicate a failing drive. Keep track of those two attributes. 

Did you use Seatools for Windows to test the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users