Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Monitor Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

In my classroom, I use a Windows 10 Pro computer with a Gigabyte GeForce GT 610 2GB DDR3 video card. 

Currently I have two monitors on my desk and extended desktop selected in Windows. One monitor is hooked up to the DVI-I output and the VGA output is connected to a video amp/splitter and then to another monitor and my Promethean Board (an electronic whiteboard). This monitor and the Promethean board always display the same thing

My%20Desk_zpsbjjvnxhj.jpg

I’m getting a new board called an Activpanel ( a super fancy electronic whiteboard). It will accept a VGA input but it will also accept HDMI. For maximum resolution HDMI is recommended.

My video card has DVI-I, VGA and HDMI outputs. Is it possible to use all three outputs??

Edited by Ranger SVO, 08 August 2016 - 09:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

If the software will recognize more than two displays, most won't but I'm not up on WINX.  I use the same thing, drive a 24 inch display with VGA, a second 22 inch on the DVI and a 47 inch HDTV with the HDMI output but I have to extend the 22 to the 24 and expand the HDTV.  I can have two full tabs open, each with their own display at 1080 and run a movie to the TV.  Only trouble is it is only two channel audio(surround if configured).  System sounds and such come through over the movie/whatever audio.  There is a learning curve associated with multiple displays and that is the power on sequence, some desktops/laptops won't recognize all the units if they aren't powered up and some  might need to be reset after the DT/LT are already on.  Lot more hand shaking going on and the multiple format outputs dictate a controller/handler after the GPU to sort things out and get the protocols right.  DVI has a large choice of options depending on the flavor installed.  Mostly identified by the connector configuration.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:40 PM

It's hard to be certain from the vague nVidia specification which simply says Multimonitor - Yes for the 610. But the consensus I find on searches is people believe the entry level such as 610 and 620 cards only support 2 concurrent outputs, and they note higher spec like 650 & 670 specifically say "4 displays" for multimonitor.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:10 PM

I just may have to use the VGA input of the ActivPanel and leave everything as is for now.

The right monitor (on the desk) and the Promethean Board always display the same thing, I was hoping I could do the same thing using the three outputs.  Oh well

Thanks for the replys

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:15 PM

Perhaps you could borrow a third monitor and see if it receives any signal, but would you gain much?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:27 PM

Not all video cards support 3 displays at once. I think the lower end often support 2 at most. I had a problem with a projector-board set up at my previous job at a school. I could not get a teacher's computer to project the same image to the SmartBoard and the 2nd monitor simultaneously. I think the issue was that the Intel GPU did not support more than two monitors at once. The solution was to use the projector's MONITOR OUT port. That allowed me to duplicate the image on the monitor and projector.

#7 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:29 PM

The cool thing about the ActivPanel, no more projectors.

I use my on personal computer (AMD X4 965 3.4 GHz Quad Core and 16GB RAM) because the school supplied computer does not handle multiple screens well, My computer will easily outperform anything the school has.  I've always used dual monitors with no problem. The right monitor and the board always displays the same thing, the left monitor whatever else (Gradebook for example).

I may consider another video card, but that would be later on, In fact my mother board does have another PCI e slot. I could use two video cards. 

For now I'll just use the VGA  input into the ActivPanel.

Edited by Ranger SVO, 08 August 2016 - 11:35 PM.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:20 PM

The cool thing about the ActivPanel, no more projectors.

I use my on personal computer (AMD X4 965 3.4 GHz Quad Core and 16GB RAM) because the school supplied computer does not handle multiple screens well, My computer will easily outperform anything the school has.  I've always used dual monitors with no problem. The right monitor and the board always displays the same thing, the left monitor whatever else (Gradebook for example).

I may consider another video card, but that would be later on, In fact my mother board does have another PCI e slot. I could use two video cards. 

For now I'll just use the VGA  input into the ActivPanel.

You can only use two if they are the same cards. It would also be cheaper to just get a card that can handle 3 outputs at once. If the ActivPanel supports it, you can let it do the video mirroring so your computer only outputs two signals, but gets three images.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users