Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer beeping and doesnt boot properly

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 FarmerButch

FarmerButch

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:59 PM

I recently bought a custom built PC and it worked fine until i tried to change the processor (which didnt work) then i kind of put my finger on the thermal paste so i cleaned the entire thing with hydrogen peroxide solution. I even cleaned the part of the heatsink that was covered with thermal paste and put it back very tight and made sure it was rigid in place then booted it up and nothing shows on screen only beeps. Pls help!!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 August 2016 - 05:48 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to Internal Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:34 PM

do you know what make and model the motherboard is?

please tell me when reconnecting the heatsink you didn't overtighten the screws as that could nuke your motherboard

did you replace the thermal compound your removed?

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

cleaned the entire thing with hydrogen peroxide solution

What areas do you mean by "entire thing"? Hydrogen Peroxide is a powerful oxidiser and is used under carefully controlled conditions in the situations where it is appropriate in production processes for electronics. Unless it's very well flushed, water will evaporate preferentially and leave concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide which I would be concerned could do all sorts of undesirable things.

As already mentioned, did you replace the thermal compound with an appropriately small amount of quality thermal paste? Why was it that changing the processor didn't work? Could this have provoked some damage (e.g. CPU with too high thermal rating)? How was the "very tight" mounting of the heatsink achieved?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Hydrogen Peroxide is usually 3% with the remaining 97% water, it very well may be shorted out.  Take it apart again use alcohol to re clean everything then let it dry over night keeping your fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:51 PM

I didn't even pay attention to the hydrogen peroxide part but yes I would never clean any electronics with any type of peroxide and very carefully do it with a dust free cotton pad and rubbing alcohol, also make sure ANY and ALL repairs are done while grounded via a wrist strap if this is your first time doing a repair like this as static discharge can cause a whack ton of issues

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:33 PM

I hope you used the thermal paste when remounting the heatsink.  If you got it on you fingers, you most likely left traces of it all over the CPU socket.  Alcohol, q-tips will clean things up..  I use an acid brush with short bristles(half inch) and alcohol to clean the board itself.  Let dry overnight.

#7 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:30 AM

1. I did not reapply thermal paste
2. I cleaned only the surface of the processor of the processor and the copper circle onbrhe heat sink, though i cudnt get rid of mark of thermal paste on the processor
3. I used 20VOL hydrogen peroxide solution
4. The processor didn't change since it was smaller in size

After removing the processor's of my old and new PC, I realized my old processor was too small for the new PC so I put both back (i opened my new PC processor for the first time). After putting both back in, my old pc worked normally but my new PC started beeping so then i cleaned it as mentioned

#8 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:31 AM

And also the heatsink was quite rigid in place, it wudnt move even a bit when i lifted it

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,854 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

Reapply a thin film of paste between the processor and heat sink and remount in the socket.

#10 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

1. I did not reapply thermal paste
2. I cleaned only the surface of the processor of the processor and the copper circle onbrhe heat sink, though i cudnt get rid of mark of thermal paste on the processor
3. I used 20VOL hydrogen peroxide solution
4. The processor didn't change since it was smaller in size

After removing the processor's of my old and new PC, I realized my old processor was too small for the new PC so I put both back (i opened my new PC processor for the first time). After putting both back in, my old pc worked normally but my new PC started beeping so then i cleaned it as mentioned

well if you didn't re-apply thermal paste and now it only beeps id say its safe to say it could be cooked CPU

#11 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

I wudnt say its cooked CPU aince the beeps came first when i touched the thermal paste then put it back in. Later after hearing the beeps I cleaned thermal paste and it made no difference
I am currently looking for thermal paste around my place so yeah

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,232 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

Beeps will normally provide an error code, what format do they show? Continuous, a number sequence repeated after a pause? Long, short?

#13 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,854 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:46 PM

If the CPU is toasted, thermal paste won't revive it.  But you have to try.  The beep code sequence is important.  A steady single beep indicates the first memory bank is bad, it needs that RAM in order to begin loading anything from the BIOS.

#14 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

Beep1 -smallpause- Beep2 -smallpause- Beep3 -LONGpause-

Basically it pauses for a second after every beep then about three second pause on the third beep

BEEP BEEP BEEP... BEEP BEEP BEEP... BEEP BEEP BEEP...
That's all ik

Edited by FarmerButch, 13 August 2016 - 09:51 AM.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,232 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:21 PM

Depending on the BIOS type, the commonest meaning for 3 beeps is a RAM problem. You might have dislodged a memory stick when dealing with the heatsink. Try re-seating the memory in the slots, if this makes no difference, remove all the memory sticks, boot up and see if the error code changes.

One other thing to try is to clear the CMOS memory in case it has been corrupted. You wouldn't normally expect that to cause error beeps, but it's one thing to eliminate. Your description of the problem occurring immediately after touching the top of the CPU suggest the possibility of a static discharge, which could corrupt the CMOS data, or in unfortunate cases, corrupt the BIOS or damage the CPU. Hopefully it isn't either of the latter.

Edited by Platypus, 14 August 2016 - 07:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users