Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer worked (until it didn't) [Problem]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bobberto

Bobberto

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:47 PM

Hi, everyone, Need some help.

I just finished my first build last night (list here). When I went to turn it on, everything (fans, power light on case, keyboard) seemed to be working and connected. However, the monitor (not the one in the build, an old one I had) wouldn't connect, it just sat there without any input. I unplugged the computer, opened it up, ran through a list of possible solutions that I found online, and tried again. This time, the case power light came on as soon as I flipped the switch on the PSU, and nothing else came on. The fans won't start and the keyboard lights don't come on.
One of the things I did between plugins was check the standoffs, which meant that I unplugged most of the motherboard connections. I don't think I accidentally zapped the mobo, since the case power light comes from there, but the only other thing I can think of is that I messed up some setup I couldn't see when I shut off the power.

Any advice/possible solutions would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

A real close inspection of the areas around all the plug in connectors to the MOBO.  Especially the back side where the pins for the connectors are soldered.  It has happened where the pins  get a cold solder joint that becomes intermittent.  Check the mfgr manual for proper stand off locations and check their clearances on the board.  The lights lead to a clue in the power switch connections.  Most units today are a dead face, in that there is no longer and AC voltage present anywhere outside the power supply.  The front panel switch is either a ground sense through the switch or the switch closes the circuit to turn on the rest of the power supply. Some power supply units have a real power switch near the AC plug, that stops the AC power, a COLD BOOT. 

#3 Darwin82

Darwin82

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:59 AM

do check the RAM.. it can be cause by the RAM too.. try some other matching RAM and see..

good luck..

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:43 AM

Check that CPU socket pins are not bent.

#5 Bobberto

Bobberto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

Thank you both. I removed the standoff I added and double checked the case connections to the motherboard, and it works now.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:50 PM

When I build any units, I use nylon standoffs and screws to hold the MOBO.  Some points as noted in the manual need a ground and a braided strap provides it where needed.  I have seen cold solder joints everywhere from main power connectors to a USB four pin header to front panel jack.  Anything is possible.  I also assemble the unit outside the case the first time, easier to swap cards and access jumpers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users