Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anniversary Update Broke My Wifi

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 mathinduction

mathinduction

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:46 PM

Your Realtek is the Ethernet adapter. Good Luck.

Day 1) So far so good! Thank you very much!!

In addition I changed the power plan to high performance and I'm using version 10.0.0.324 of the driver. (in case someone has the same issue)

Will update this post if the connection drops

Edited by mathinduction, 12 September 2016 - 03:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

Fingers crossed. You might want to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating your drivers. Sometimes the updated drivers aren't any better or worse than the older ones.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

#33 mathinduction

mathinduction

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

Fingers crossed. You might want to prevent Windows 10 from automatically updating your drivers. Sometimes the updated drivers aren't any better or worse than the older ones.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

Thank you so much. I did it immediately :) Excellent post. I really appreciate the help!

#34 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,603 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

Your Welcome. Please post an update in a few days even if you do not get disconnected. Thanks.

#35 mathinduction

mathinduction

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:22 AM

Your Welcome. Please post an update in a few days even if you do not get disconnected. Thanks.

I will do that. Thank you! :)

#36 MCStrugglin

MCStrugglin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

I figured out a solution! My problem was the computer wasn't recognizing my wireless adapter - all my attempts to update the driver, troubleshoot, etc. were met with messages about there not being an enabled wireless driver. So I finally did this, and it worked for me on a Dell Latitude E5430:

Open the task manager (Start -> Task Manager) and click the Services tab.

In the bottom left, click "Open Services"

Find "WLAN AutoConfig" in the list of services

If it's blank in the "status" column, as was mine, that might be your problem. Click the line and then select "Start service" in the top left. It took about 80 seconds for it to reconfigure, but it worked!

I then right-clicked this line and chose Properties, and from the General tab I chose "Automatic" under the "Startup type" dropdown.

If you're reading this looking for a solution, I really hope this works for you. I know how maddening it is. Good luck!

#37 mathinduction

mathinduction

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:39 PM

So far no issues, thanks!

Edited by mathinduction, 25 September 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#38 GhostOfChristmasPast

GhostOfChristmasPast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

I've got a Dell Precision M4600 and here's what worked for me:

Make sure you are hardwired to the internet with an Ethernet cable from your laptop connected directly to your router (or whatever).

Right click your start menu button and choose 'Device Manager'.

Expand 'Network adapters' right click your WiFi adapter (in my case: Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter) and choose uninstall.  [You know this one is WiFi as 802.11 is the IEEE code for wireless networking]

The WiFi adapter will disappear.

In your open Device Manager window, right click on 'Network adapters' and choose 'Scan for hardware changes'

The WiFi adapter will reinstall.

Done...

It's been two hours now and no WiFi drop out has occurred, even after 1 restart and 2 display sleeps.

Hope this helps.

#39 mrphil79

mrphil79

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:45 PM

My computer auto-updated on Sept. 22 at about 4 am.
Immediately on that day I had wifi problems - it would be connected just fine, and then it would shut off and not be able to connect to any wifi connection. The ONLY way to fix it was to restart the computer.

After 2 weeks of this - I was about to explode, so I found a way to keep windows 10 from auto-updating in the first place, rolled back as many updates as I could that happened on the 22nd or later.

Still had wifi problems.

Found rumors that microsoft included a driver "update" for my wifi adapter - and when I dug in to that, it showed no history of being updated until I dig really deep - I found it in a log on my computer that it updated at the same time as the anniversary update, but there was no option to roll back to the previous driver - it was as if Microsoft had installed the thing brand new on Sept. 22.

But it was the wrong driver for windows 10...

I had version 3.0.2.201 - but needed 10.0.0.318.

Thanks Microsoft.

I found a link on a HP support website

(http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Windows-10-Qualcomm-Atheros-AR9485-Wifi-Adapter-Driver/td-p/5268717)

that downloaded the "old" driver and it installed automatically. (the link to actually download is in the 3rd reply on that page if you're interested...)

Fixed my problem instantly.

If you do this, make sure you set it to not update your driver - because microsoft will try to throw it to the updated version again if you don't make that change.

#40 td47

td47

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:11 AM

Uninstall currently install wireless drivers and install latest version of the Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless drivers

IF installing wireless driver compatible with Windows 10 wont work then execute my batch script to reset TCP/IP protocol suite settings. The link to my thread where you can download the batch script is below.

Reset TCP/IP Protocol Suite

Hello, is that link above for "www.atheros-drivers.com"  working for you? I cannot get any of the AR956x drivers to actually download, the links just go round and round between pages, and no actual download takes place?? I have a Toshiba C75A, and the device manage says it is version 3.0.2.201, so I suspect this is Toshiba specific (the device manager tells me it is the latest driver)? I keep seeing references to 10.0.2.379, but cannot download it from anywhere. The latest MS rollup updates seem to have broken the wake from sleep for the Wifi AR956x, and I have to toggle Airplane mode off and on to wake the adapter up properly, and actually see my network and connect. It all connects fine from a restart, but it seems the D0_SystemResume from sleep mode is broken, and not properly waking up the driver and device. Any advice appreciated.

#41 opera

opera

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:20 AM

Perhaps he meant this link? (download button near bottom of page on the right)

https://www.atheros-drivers.com/download-driver-nr-309-for-atheros-AR9485-and-Windows10.html

#42 td47

td47

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:42 AM

Thanks for quick reply. I have tried that link, plus several others on that site, for Atheros Drivers relating to Windows 10, but nothing will actually download, it seems to go around in circles back and forth. Have you actually tried to download anything there? I have tried this on both FF & Chrome, it shows the same behaviour, and ABP ad-blocker is disabled for that site.

#43 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,603 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for quick reply. I have tried that link, plus several others on that site, for Atheros Drivers relating to Windows 10, but nothing will actually download, it seems to go around in circles back and forth. Have you actually tried to download anything there? I have tried this on both FF & Chrome, it shows the same behaviour, and ABP ad-blocker is disabled for that site.

I usually do not have a problem with the site. If I can get the download I can upload it to Dropbox and provide a link if you wish. See post #39 by mrphil79. Look for the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9000 Series Wireless LAN Driver.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 October 2016 - 07:38 AM.

#44 td47

td47

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:17 AM

I usually do not have a problem with the site. If I can get the download I can upload it to Dropbox and provide a link if you wish. See post #39 by mrphil79. Look for the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9000 Series Wireless LAN Driver.

Hi JohnC_21 thanks for the link, but it seems to be HP specific, for the QCA9000 - the one I need is for the AR956x,  in my Toshiba C75A. The Toshiba Download site is not showing up anything for my model, and the Toshiba Service Station app shown no updates needed.

#45 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:01 AM

Visit below link and click download button.

https://www.atheros-drivers.com/download-driver-nr-309-for-atheros-AR9485-and-Windows10.html

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users