Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anniversary Update Broke My Wifi

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 ikonoqlast

ikonoqlast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

ASUS X555LA, bought new in January.  Used it daily on the Phoenix AZ Public Library Wifi.  No issues. 

Installed the Windows 10 Anniversary update on friday.  Immediately started having wifi problems.  It will connect and give internet access for 1-20 minutes, then no more internet.  Computer thinks I am still connected to the wifi, but 'no internet connection'.  Disconnecting and trying to reconnect gives me 'can't connect to this network'.  Rebooting allows connection again, until it fails.  Again.  Deleted and reinstalled wifi multiple times. Didn't works.  Diagnostics say its fine.  Others can connect to library internet, as can my smart phone- it's me, not them.  Googled for fixes, tried them. Didn't work.  Saw recommendation to change DNS server from automatic to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4..  Worked for an hour.  Then didn't.  Started ITunes to get podcasts, lost connection.  Rebooted, started ITunes again, lost connection again.  Rebooted again.  Switched to Grover Podcast.  Lost connection. Rebooted.  

Now I'm here.

HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hedosek

hedosek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:27 AM

Hi, I have totaly same problem any solution? 

I have Lenovo y50-70 and wifi module is atheros ar956x.

Thanks!!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

Windows 10 has had massive wifi issues. See if this setting has changed.

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Wireless adapter settings -> Power Saving mode.  Make sure it is set to Maximum Power

#4 hedosek

hedosek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:28 AM

Unfortunately, I tried it . I also tried to reinstall the drivers .

Thanks.

Edited by hedosek, 09 August 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,603 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:42 AM

If you right click the adapter in Device Manager what version is listed for the driver?

#6 ikonoqlast

ikonoqlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

JohnC_21:   3.0.2.201

I was going to post this earlier-

Well, sadly no expert has chimed in yet.  More of my own flailings this morning, based inexpertly on various advice I have seen on the web and my own inferences. First, when connecting to the library it brings up a terms and services click here to continue page.  But, when I got disconnected, rebooted and reconnected it did not bring up that page and just allowed internet access.  This is very unusual behavior.  Apparently the library wifi thinks I am still connected.  Since this has happened during downloads, that means the library is 'talking' to me.  The lost connection implies I am not 'listening' anymore. 

..  And there is software on my computer that will willfully refuse to listen over a network- the Firewall. 

OK, simplify the problem.

First thing,after the library opened I uninstalled my anti-virus.  Rebooted.  Turned off the firewall completely.  Rebooted.  Performed a 'network reset' rebooted. 

Connected to the library wifi and...

Couldn't connect to the internet.  The T&S was a blank page.  Chrome was automatically brought up as usual, but nothing.

Rebooted, tried again.  Same thing.  Opened Microsoft Edge...

AND THERE WAS THE T&S PAGE.  Clicked OK, and here I am. 

We'll see...

We've seen... It didn't work. 

Did a system restore of Windows...

Didn't work.

Power settings on the wifi are and were set to maximum. Turned off permission to turn it off for power saving.  Turned off Firewall.  Connected... at the moment...

#7 ikonoqlast

ikonoqlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:01 PM

More behavior.

When it loses the connection MS Edge locks up.  Can't close it.  Can kill it via Task Manager.  Tried to watch Luke Cage trailer on IMDB, connection died during the ad, both attempts. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,603 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

It this the Windows Firewall that you are using? The last post describing your lost connection was also with the Firewall disabled?

Right click your Wifi Adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

#9 ikonoqlast

ikonoqlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_662711AD&REV_01

Also

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adaptor
Driver version 3.0.2.201
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 build 14393
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. X555LAB.503 8/4/2015

#10 ikonoqlast

ikonoqlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:29 PM

Forgot-
Windows firewall.
Connection breaks on or off.  Currently back on. 
Connection lasts about a minute, have to reboot to reconnect every time.  Library closing soon.  May not be back until tomorrow.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:14 AM

Uninstall currently install wireless drivers and install latest version of the Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless drivers

IF installing wireless driver compatible with Windows 10 wont work then execute my batch script to reset TCP/IP protocol suite settings. The link to my thread where you can download the batch script is below.

Reset TCP/IP Protocol Suite

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#12 ikonoqlast

ikonoqlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 10:39:59 AM UTC-7, Shawn Wilson wrote:

This minute I am using a library computer, so I have a solid connection.

Down at the bottom of the thread Someone gave a url for a 'latest driver'.  Uh, dude, I went to that driver website before, the driver I was using was the 'latest driver' I could find.  But...  My driver was  3.0.2.201 and this one was 10.0.0.329.  The list of adaptors included mine, so...  I downloaded it.

Then I checked my mail...

ASUS had responded.  They recommended a different driver package- 10.0.0.326.  I downloaded and installed that.  It seemed to work.  I connected to IMDB and had it run trailers. 

...until just right now.  Lost connection.  Can't reconnect, as usual.  

BUT, the librarian also just announced that they are having network problems.  Maybe it isn't me this time.  Maybe.

Rebooted.  reconnected.  Brought up the T&S page like it's supposed to, and had not been.

We'll see.  

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Well install the driver version 10.0.0.329 see what happens.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#14 ikonoqlast

ikonoqlast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

5:13 PM.  

Been connected CONTINUOUSLY since reconnecting after that break I mentioned previously.  Played some Starcraft, watched some Youtube, downloaded and installed Chrome.  

We have a solution- 

The problem was a bad driver.  The solution was to not automatically trust Microsoft when their update says 'this is the latest driver', no matter what date is on it.  Of course, finding the latest driver is not easy.  I really had tried.  I visited the very website the FreeBooter pointed me to.  I'll give him credit for the solution, even if technically it was ASUS tech support responding to my email that pointed me to the driver I actually used, which I got from their driver download page for my specific laptop.  Which I didn't know existed until they told me.  Bad ASUS...  This kind of thing should be EASY to find.  

And, FreeBooter...If you think I am going to mess with my drivers again after all the heartbreak and frustration I have been through you're stoned.  

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:32 PM

Then give some thought to stopping Windows from 'updating' the driver you now have...

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

(Prevent Windows Update From Installing Specific Updates and Drivers)

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users