Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

word docs disappearing, corrupt external HDD + other issues (possibly virus)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 oculi

oculi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

Hello,

i recently experience a lot of problems my PC, but first the basics.

The pc is 5-6 years old, self-built and has an Intel i5-760, Nvidia GTX 470 and 6GB of Ram. I never overclocked any of the components.

The pc has two disks, one SSD with 64GB and one normal HDD with 1TB. The SSD has the Win 7 partition while the HDD is split. Most of it is data storage for the Win 7-partition, while 150GB are for an Win 10 partition that i rarely use.

2-3 months ago a .docx file (= word-document) disappeard from the PC from one day to the other. The file was located on the hard drive (Win 7 data partition) and was rather important as it contained a few pages of notes from a book that i needed for school. The links to the files were still there, so the file still appeard under recent documents and i could even find an .docx.lnk with the same name, but when you tried to open the files via these methods it of course said that there is no file that could be opened. I tried recovering the file with recuva or find it with the Win 10 partition, but that didn't help.

Around 2 weeks ago i came back home from a vacation and noticed immediately that the same thing as previously described had happened to a password-protected file in which i keep all my passwords. Sadly i can't access the backup on my phone as i - with great foresight apparently - dropped it while on vacation. I tried to recover the file with an live linux from a reputable german computer magazine (c't), so the live linux itself isn't messed up. I ran photo rec and saved all files to my external hard drive, but the password-file wasn't under the recovered files.The live linux is originally meant to be used to search for viruses and i also tried that. I found one that that Kaspersky classified as Adware.

As stated i saved all files from photo rec on my external hard drive, which also contains some other data. I rarely connect the external hard drive to the PC, maybe on average once-twice a month. In the last days it was a bit more often because of the whole photo rec files. But now the hard drive suddenly wants to be formatted when i connect it to the PC. I ran chkdsk, but that didn't help. Connecting it to another PC doesn't change anything and connecting it to the same PC while running a live linux only means that i can access the chkdsk logs.

There are also other reasons to suspect that sth. is wrong with the way data is stored. E.g. i have a few thousand Firefox bookmarks and i noticed a few days ago that i have one amazon bookmark for a time span between late 2014 and early 2016 (instead of the usual 50-200) the PC forgot my spotify-password that is normally automatically entered.

summary:

partition / issues /  stuff tried

Partition 1 with Win7 = SSD with 60GB, often completely full, nearly always less than 500MB free space / from here the second .docx-file disappeared 2 weeks ago / find with Win 10 partition, restore with Live Linux

Partition 2 (data dump for Win 7) = 850GB of 1TB HDD, around 50GB of free space / from here the first .docx-file disappeared a few months ago / find with Win 10 partition, restore with recuva

Partition 3 with Win 10 = 150 GB of 1 TB HDD, around 100GB of free space / from here nothing disappeared / nothing needed to be tried

External drive: In use for 5-6 years, no issues before, now always wants to be formatted when connecting it to different PCs

What i should probably also mention is that the windows search of my Win7-partiton is very unreliable, i.e. it doesn't show files that are clearly there, therefore i now always use Agent Ransack or everything to search for files

Sry that the whole post now looks a bit confusing, i'm kinda in a hurry. English isn't my native language and i can't change my Win 7 installation to it, if there is anything unclear/wrong pls just ask/say it. I don't nescessarily need to make the disks work without problems for the future as i will probably change to a new pc anyway, but i really need to recover the lost files, especially the password files and some files on the external drive. It's disappearance is a big problem for me.

Regards and thanks in advance for any help

Edited by oculi, 08 August 2016 - 02:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oculi

oculi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

push

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users