Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get Kindle Fire HD 7 video to show up on TV?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hi,

My wife has a Kindle Fire HD 7 tablet. I would like to be able to send the screen image to our television. I know that there are streaming devices like the Fire Stick that let you show streaming content on the television, but that isn't what I'm looking for. What I want is to just send the video that is on the Fire screen to the television via some kind of wireless connection. This would allow my wife to surf the web, but use the larger screen of the television as a monitor.

If anyone has successfully been able to accomplish this task, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:53 AM

Take a look here: Display Mirroring on Fire Tablet

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:17 PM

Animal,

Thanks for the info. I looked into mirroring the tablet, but unfortunately, this tablet does not support mirroring.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:33 PM

You're quite welcome. I knew some of the Fire models did not support mirroring. And didn't want to waste your time giving you directions. Just to have you come back and say they didn't work. I figured best to verify if it could even be done from the start.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:24 AM

Hi,

My wife has a Kindle Fire HD 7 tablet. I would like to be able to send the screen image to our television. I know that there are streaming devices like the Fire Stick that let you show streaming content on the television, but that isn't what I'm looking for. What I want is to just send the video that is on the Fire screen to the television via some kind of wireless connection. This would allow my wife to surf the web, but use the larger screen of the television as a monitor.

If anyone has successfully been able to accomplish this task, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks.

If it has wireless and it does , this should work or similar if you purchase one , i use a Western Digital Media Centre    http://www.cnet.com/au/products/western-digital-wd-tv-media-player-2014/    connected to my Panasonic 42" TV

I use it on my Network and works fine on any Wireless Device , just tried on My Android HTC M7 via wireless , on the WDTV scan for Devices and select which device you want to connect to , then select Miracast from WDTV option and away you go. 

Anything you do on Android Phone or Tablet will be displayed on the TV in real time.

Yet if using Web Browser -  Data from Phone / Tablet may decrease your Quota limit , where as i use my ADSL Connection over WIFI for all devices when im home. 

Edited by Havachat, 09 August 2016 - 05:29 AM.

#6 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

Havachat,

Thanks, I will look into this. I found the WD device on Amazon and one statement left me a little concerned. It states that it will work with any "Miracast-enabled" device. I opened the Users Guide on the Fire and did a search for Miracast, but no results were found. Also, you stated above that anything that you do on your Android Phone or Tablet will be displayed on the TV. The Kindle Fire uses a "Fire OS", not Android. Amazon seems to like to keep things proprietary which is a hassle for anyone that wants to work with other kinds of devices.

I'll try to find a Fire HD user forum and see if anyone there can confirm that this tablet will work with the WD device or whether there might be some other option.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

Did Chromecast get Kindle mirroring with the 2016 update or is that just for the newer models you mentioned?

Also, what model TV does OP have? Most newer TV's have integrated computers in them that can stream Netflix,etc without having to streamcast from another device. This would also reduce the amount of local bandwidth used for the stream. 

Edited by Trikein, 09 August 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:52 PM

Member is not looking to stream. Preference is to use the TV as a pseudo wireless large monitor.

I know that there are streaming devices like the Fire Stick that let you show streaming content on the television, but that isn't what I'm looking for. What I want is to just send the video that is on the Fire screen to the television via some kind of wireless connection. This would allow my wife to surf the web, but use the larger screen of the television as a monitor.

Bold in quote is mine.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:58 AM

Havachat,

Thanks, I will look into this. I found the WD device on Amazon and one statement left me a little concerned. It states that it will work with any "Miracast-enabled" device. I opened the Users Guide on the Fire and did a search for Miracast, but no results were found. Also, you stated above that anything that you do on your Android Phone or Tablet will be displayed on the TV. The Kindle Fire uses a "Fire OS", not Android. Amazon seems to like to keep things proprietary which is a hassle for anyone that wants to work with other kinds of devices.

I'll try to find a Fire HD user forum and see if anyone there can confirm that this tablet will work with the WD device or whether there might be some other option.

My HTC M7 has no association with Wireless Display { Miracast } Function , its only a part of the WDTV Media Unit - Under - Setup / Network Settings / Wireless Display { Miracast } .

But its used via WDTV Unit as the Function - to Display the HTC Screen or Photos etcs , or anything i do on the Phone.

I do although select "Media Output" in "Settings" from the Phone and that detects the WDTV as a "Miracast Device" 

Which i select on the Phone and then it connects.

The Kindle is also based on Android { Read below } so i dont think it would be an issue with the WDTV Media , but i wouldnt like to steer you into the wrong direction in case it doesnt work.

FROM WIKI  -  Amazon FireOS is an Android-based mobile operating system produced by Amazon for its Fire Phone and Kindle Fire range oftablets, and other content delivery devices like Fire TV; the tablet versions of the Kindle e-readers are the Fire range. It is forked from Android.Fire OS primarily centers on content consumption, with a customized user interface and heavy ties to content available from Amazon's own storefronts and services.

While the Kindle Fire line has always used customized distributions of Android, particularly 2.3.3 (API level 10) (Kindle Fire) and 4.0.3 (API level 15) (Fire HD), Amazon only began referring to the distribution as Fire OS beginning with its third iteration of Kindle Fire tablets, which includes the Fire HD 2nd generation and Fire HDX models. Unlike previous Kindle Fire models, whose operating system is listed as being "based on" Android, the Fire HDX "FireOS 3.0" operating system is listed as being "compatible with" Android; FireOS 3 is forked from Android 4.2.2, (API level 17).[10][11][12] In the Fire HD (3rd generation) and Fire HDX (2nd generation) tablets, Fire OS 4 is included that is forked from Android 4.4.2 (API level 19).[13][14] Fire OS 4.5.1 is based on Android 4.4.3.[15][16] Fire OS 5.0 is based on Android 5.0 (API level 22).[17]

Edited by Havachat, 10 August 2016 - 06:18 AM.

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:23 AM

Just some more info:If It Helps ?

Miracast comes standard on all devices running Windows 8.1, and Android mobile devices running Jelly Bean 4.2 or later – although having 4.2 installed on your older Android doesn’t necessarily mean your device is capable of mirroring content. Miracast functionality is a built-in standard with all Android devices manufactured with 4.4 and later. Most late-model Intel computers and laptops are also Miracast enabled, often under the Intel WiDi certification. Amazon’s Fire OS is also supported by Miracast. The Wi-Fi Alliance website provides information on all products that support the standard.

And - Like Roku, Amazon's $100 Fire TV box and $40 Fire TV Stick now support Miracast for screen mirroring from Android devices running Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) or higher. Fire TV also mirrors the Amazon Fire Phone and Fire HDX tablets. Amazon does not mention support for Windows Phone devices. To start mirroring, press and hold the home button on the Fire TV remote, and select Mirroring. Then, pair your mobile device. The process for pairing an Android device is the same as for any other Miracast receiver.

With a Kindle Fire HDX, select Settings, then Display and Sounds. Next, choose Display Mirroring. Much like the Apple TV approach, the HDX tablet will then pair with the Fire TV box over your Wi-Fi network. Once the connection is made, any video and audio played on your tablet will be mirrored on your TV via the Fire TV box. Consequently, you can sling not only videos, but music and photos as well.

#11 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

We have a Kindle Fire HD (not HDX). The user's guide specifically states that if Display Mirroring does not appear in the Display and Sounds menu, then the device is not capable of mirroring, and this option does not appear in our Fire.

I think that this issue will be resolved in a roundabout way. My wife has been wanting to get a larger HDTV and we were at Sam's Club this morning and found a Samsung television that is capable of surfing the internet. (According to the salesman, LG televisions also have this capability). It will even accept a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse via the USB port (or so the salesman said). So I think that it makes more sense to put the $100+ into the cost of the new TV. The existing 32" model will make a great monitor in the computer room!

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

Might I suggest that you actually test the keyboard functionality before purchasing said TV. My neighbor got a 40 inch Samsung web enabled TV. The keyboard he wanted to use was limited to arrow key and enter key usability. Letters didn't work. It still brought up the onscreen keyboard and you used the arrow keys to navigate. Needless to say, the TV was returned. I never did find out what he ended up with if anything.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

+1 Finding the model TV in a store somewhere and trying it out. Some TV's user interface are better then others. Mouse lag can be a big issue on a large screen.

Also, what does your wife need to use the screen for? Web browsing? Email? Work? If it has anything to do with banking or signing into a secure website, I would't trust the browsers most TV's have. I only suggested a TV with integrated CPU when I thought it was for video streaming. Using a TV as a PC replacement is something else. 

Edited by Trikein, 11 August 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#14 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:12 PM

Animal and Trikein,

Thanks for the suggestion on checking out the keyboard. The salesman told me that he uses the Logitech keyboard on his Samsung television at home, so I hope that he knows what he's talking about. However, since they did have this television on display and working, it would not be too difficult to take the keyboard in and try it out.

My wife plans to use the web function to watch internet programming. She enjoys a lot of Korean dramas and movies and many of these do not have Roku channels associated with them. Or she might want to look at things on eBay or Amazon. I never gave too much thought to the level of security on a web-enabled television, so I'm glad that you brought this up. We'll be sure to do any internet transaction like banking on the computer.

I'm going to read specs on any internet-enabled television that we plan to buy, as well as customer reviews.

#15 Madison112

Madison112

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:04 PM

Hi,

Take a look here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201540250

If this doesn't help, contact Amazon and find out what the problem is and if needed, fix the problem via an outside vendor.

Reply if this helps!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users