Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading 242 Updates (0 KB total 0% Complete) for two days now

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

I already had it check for updates which took 12 hours, when it found some, I told it to download updates. The computer now has been running for two days with the Windows Update open displaying the following: "Downloading 242 Updates (0 KB total 0% Complete)." Which to me, sounds like it thinks that the total size of these updates is 0 kb, which doesn't make any sense. This has been sitting like this with the 'Downloading 242 Updates (0 KB total 0% Complete)' since shortly after I posted the other problem with this laptop. It is a nice laptop found up on campus in a luggage bag in the dumpster, looks brand new. Had Windows 7 Home Premium in which I formatted and put Windows 7 Ultimate on it. but now since, All that goes on with updates is, "Downloading 242 Updates (0 KB total 0% Complete)"

Any ideas on how to fix this and get the ball rolling?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

Hello

Let me get this: You clean installed Windows with SP1? If you did, you can use the rollup package by Microsoft to install all the updates (until July as it is a July rollup package). Follow the instructions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:46 AM

It doesn't work on Firefox and Windows 7 SP1 comes with too old of an IE which I avoid IE like the plague anyway

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

Alright, we will install certain updates that will make the checking and downloading for updates faster. First of all, change your update settings to manual (don't worry. It is temporary). Restart your computer, then manually download and install these updates in this order (If any of these need a restart, go ahead. If any of the updates say they are not applicable, skip it):

KB3109094   32-bit   64-bit

KB3164033   32-bit   64-bit

KB3078601   32-bit   64-bit

KB3145739   32-bit   64-bit

KB3168965   32-bit   64-bit

KB3138612   32-bit   64-bit

After you have done installing these, turn the updates back to check for updates and install them automatically. Then, do a full scan for updates again, and install all the updates again. Let me know if it worked

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 gpearman

gpearman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:36 AM

CKing,

Have you ever tried the ResetWUEng script. Worked for us after a failed Win 10 sneak attack and a clean 7 pro install.  Of course, it's  1 am and I'm watching an 8.1 OS just spin though. It's really hard to be a hero some days. I kept notes when it did work. We actually got escalated on a MS customer service session. That took some tenacity on the part of an office manager. The next level tech recommended it. Frickin' update problems make sure I work my butt off for quarters.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc

gdp

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:11 AM

- Try these instructions:

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

#7 gpearman

gpearman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:13 PM

Thx Willy;

I am victorious. I used the reset; adapted to my 8.1 situation. Then, updated 10 at a time until it worked the kinks out. It's OEM, so the roll up is no good. We didn't want to order another OEM install disk. Same issue. At least, Office still works. This is the third computer w/ this issue that's sucked up my time in a month. It's hard to make any money as a tech. If people are charged full price for this service; might as well buy a new one.

This one was a HP Notebook from a pawn shop. He's a good customer. 2 cores, 1 @ 1Ghz, the other @ 800, 4 GB RAM, 5400rpm 1/2 T HDD, ATI GPU, forgotten outlook password, and 256 updates waiting on a busted updater. It's only good for light computing at best; a window to the market place. Maybe some book keeping and word processing. Maybe worth 100-150 bucks. I wouldn't have one. I don't think either of us are gonna come out ahead. I hope he donates it to a starving school kid.

Should have seen how I hacked the password tho.

gdp

Edited by gpearman, 16 August 2016 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users