Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk signature collision when installing new SSD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nicktgrange

Nicktgrange

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:56 AM

Hi, I've just installed a Samsung SSD in my HP pavilion desktop running windows 7. I've successfully cloned my operating system to it using Samsung data migration and Magician programmes, but I'm not having much luck persuading my pc to boot from it yet. 
To start with it wasn't being listed on the file explorer at all. I went into disk management and saw that it was listed as offline with the message "The disk is offline because it has a signature collision with another disk that is online". 
I took advice from an online forum and right clicked "online". This made it show up as drive I in the file explorer, but caused the strange configuration below, where Disk 0 appears to be the right size for the SSD at 250GB, but Samsung SSD is actually listing against CD-ROM DVD with a small amount of memory. 
I'd be v grateful if somebody advise me on a) how to reorganise the disks to the correct listings so that OS and major apps go on SSD and storage etc is on HDD, and B) how to get my SSD to be the primary boot drive? 
I've changed the boot order in the bios so that the SSD is listed first in both legacy and UEFI but so far to no avail. Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:36 AM

You have no use for 250GB (HDD?) anymore, right? Unplug it and see what happens.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

You can't have two drives using the same signature in the system, so if the cloning software transferred the disk signature from the original drive and that drive is still connected, you'll get that clash. If you want to use both drives, try:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/change-disk-signature.shtml

Edited by Platypus, 08 August 2016 - 08:40 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:04 AM

Mark Russinovich, developer of AutoRuns and Process Explorer, has a good write-up on Disk Signature Collisions.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2011/11/06/fixing-disk-signature-collisions/

#5 Nicktgrange

Nicktgrange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

You have no use for 250GB (HDD?) anymore, right? Unplug it and see what happens.

Actually that's the SSD I'm trying to boot from. But instead the label that applies to that (Samsung SSD) is now applied to the CDROM/DVD drive... hmmm.

#6 Nicktgrange

Nicktgrange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:52 PM

You can't have two drives using the same signature in the system, so if the cloning software transferred the disk signature from the original drive and that drive is still connected, you'll get that clash. If you want to use both drives, try:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/change-disk-signature.shtml

Many thanks - I'll give this a go, though it looks well above my competence level. Do you happen to know of a beginners guide to using disk management?

#7 Nicktgrange

Nicktgrange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

Mark Russinovich, developer of AutoRuns and Process Explorer, has a good write-up on Disk Signature Collisions.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2011/11/06/fixing-disk-signature-collisions/

Thankyou! Looks v complicated, but I'll give it a go. Or would uninstalling and reinstalling my SSD do the trick? I'm mystified why the CDROM drive has named itself as Samsung SSD, and what looks like the SSD (which is 250G) is no longer labelled that way... Feeling WAY out of my depth...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users