Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Smart HDD

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 aswann

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:13 AM

In the midst of googling for firmware for Hitachi DeskStar HDS721010DLE630, I come across Smart HDD. On reading the info on Smart HDD. i find that it can help me detect when my hard disk is about to fail.
I download the app and run it. It ask me to agree on the licence and the temperature. I okayed it and find that it only gives me the temperature of my hard disk. That's all. I did not actually use it.
Seeing that it is not useful, i google smart hdd on how to uninstall it. That is when i come across Remove Smart HDD (Uninstall guide) in Bleeping Computer.com website

Smart HDD[/size] is a fake hard drive optimization and analysis program that displays false information so that it can scare you into thinking that there is something wrong with your computer's hard disks. This program is part of the [/size]Rogue.FakeHDD family of scareware programs. Smart HDD is installed via Trojans that display fake error messages on the infected computer. These messages will state that there is something wrong with your computer's hard drive in order to scare you into purchasing the program....[/size]If you are infected with Smart HDD it is important that you do not delete any files from your Temp folder or use any temp file cleaners.[/size] This is because when the infection is installed it will delete shortcuts found in various locations and store backups of them in the [/size]%Temp%\smtmp[/size] folder. It does this so that you when try to launch a program from your start menu, none of your shortcuts will appear and thus making you think that your computer has a serious problem. [/size]

Is my computer infected? I have not rebooted/shutdowned my computer yet. How can I uninstall SMART HDD, the safe way?
By the way I have already deleted smart hdd.exe.

Edited by Platypus, 08 August 2016 - 07:33 AM.
Moved from Logs forum as no logs posted

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users