Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Removing Yahoo As My Homepage

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:44 PM

I accidently made yahoo my homepage on Internet Explorer and Firefox. I believe it was when I installed a newer version of Adobe Reader. I have uninstalled every Yahoo program I had and still cannot get rid of the Yahoo homepage. I cannot change the homepage to anything else. I have tried to reset the web settings, but I get an error that I am "unable to reset web settings". Thanks for your time :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:53 PM

How do I remove Yahoo! Toolbar for Mozilla Firefox?

There are two ways to remove the Yahoo! Toolbar for Mozilla Firefox.

The easiest way is to use the "Uninstall" menu item:

Click the Pencil menu.
Click "Uninstall".
Enter any feedback you'd like to send to Yahoo! about why you're uninstalling the toolbar.
Click "Uninstall".
Restart your browser.
If that doesn't work, you can also use the Extension Manager in Firefox to remove the Yahoo! Toolbar extension:

Click the "Tools" menu in the Firefox browser.
Click the "Extensions" menu item.
In the Extensions Manager window scroll until you find the Yahoo! Toolbar extension.
Click the Yahoo! Toolbar extension.
Click "Uninstall".
Click "OK" in the "Uninstall Yahoo! Toolbar" window.
Exit Extensions Manager and restart your browser.
Either one of these methods will uninstall Yahoo! Toolbar from your browser. If neither works, your user profile is corrupt. You might need to create a new user profile for your bro

How do I remove Yahoo! Toolbar for Internet Explorer?

There are two ways to uninstall the Yahoo! Toolbar for Internet Explorer.

Option 1: Via the toolbar()

Select "Uninstall" from the Pencil button (Toolbar Settings).
Click "Uninstall" on the uninstall page.
Close any open IE windows.
When you restart Internet Explorer, Yahoo! Toolbar will no longer be present.

Option 2: Via the Control Panel

Click the Windows "Start" button.
Select "Control Panel" from the "Settings" menu.
Double-click on "Add/Remove Programs".
Scroll down and click on the "Yahoo! Toolbar" entry.
Click on "Change/Remove."
Close any open IE windows.
Yahoo! Toolbar is now uninstalled. Please start IE again after closing all your open IE browser windows and it will no longer be present.

If you follow these steps and Yahoo! Toolbar is still present, make sure you've closed all your open IE browser windows. Due to Internet Explorer being integrated with Windows, you might need to restart your computer to fully uninstall Yahoo! Toolbar.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

Thank you for your reply. I was able to uninstall the yahoo toolbar, it's the homepage I can't get rid of.
When I open my browser I can only get Yahoo as my homepage. I tried to change it and restart my computer, but when I open my browsers, it's back. I did have the toolbars, but they are gone. Are you familiar with removing the homepage? Thanks !

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,597 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

In Firefox: tools/options/general settings/change page to whatever you want
In Internet explorer: Internet options/ general/ select home page

If the above doesn't work, I would do a file search for Yahoo and remove files to recycle bin.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:32 PM

Thanks, I have done both of those and it keeps coming back. I would expect this from no name spyware, but not from Yahoo. I was trying to find the settings in my registry, but when I tried to change the homepage from there, I still get an error and it stays on Yahoo. I wrote to yahoo and they said they could not help me at this time. Thanks for your thoughts. :thumbsup:

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,597 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:41 PM

Do you have administrative privileges? Did you look in hidden files and folders?

Do you have any security program that locks your settings such as Spybot Teatimer?

Edited by buddy215, 15 August 2006 - 01:53 PM.

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:04 PM

I do have administrative rights. I can't find any hidden folders that will help. If you can tell me what to look for in the hidden files, I could check that. I do have Spybot, but the block on IE is not set. This is strange. I was able to get Mozilla to change it's page to Google for my homepage, but still get errors with the IE.
Thanks again.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,597 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:13 PM

OK, in the teatimer tools, select browser pages and follow the directions given for changing start page. Then go to IE tweaks and lock start page.

#9 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:57 PM

OK, I tried that, it acted like it would change the homepage. Then I closed IE and reopened and Yahoo again.
I have never seen anything like it. I can't figure out what I did that changed the settings. I recently downloaded the free AOL software. But I put it on 3 computers and the other 2 are not having this problem.
Thanks again for any suggestions !

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,597 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

Teatimer is not the only security program that may be blocking. Check all of your programs. Winpatrol, SpywareBlaster, etc.

#11 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:58 PM

Well, I checked my other programs and cannot find any reason that this should be happening. I do have Spywareblaster installed, but everything looks ok with that. I don't know what else it could be. I ran CCleaner and still nothing. I will keep searching for an answer. Thanks for all of your time :thumbsup:

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,597 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

Is there a chance that when you first deleted Yahoo from IE that you did not close all windows and restart computer? Try closing all windows and setting home page to Blank/click apply/click ok

If the above doesn't produce a good result,(worth a try) reinstall Yahoo browser in IE and follow the uninstall directions including closing windows and restarting computer.

I have Googled several searches and really have found very little to help. So I don't think it is a common problem. That is why I am leaning toward a bad uninstall. Good Luck

#13 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:53 PM

Thank you, I will try that. I have had the same with searching for similar problems. No luck, and that may work. I will let you know. Thanks again.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,597 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

Please do let me know. Good luck

#15 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:19 PM

Well, thanks for your suggestion, but no luck. This is really strange. I can't find any other problems like this, I am trying to remember what I may have changed about that time. I was on vacation and only home for a day or so when this occurred. It has to be something I have done. I will let you know if I come up with anything new. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users