Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memtest86 Errors with 2 Sticks....No Errors with 1.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rigwald

Rigwald

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

I have two identical sticks of memory that were purchased together (Team Xtreem LV 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DD) on a ASRock Z75 Pro3 motherboard w/ a Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz processor and a CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W power supply.  The main components are 3 years old, except for the power supply which is 6 years old.  This is a computer I built for my mother.  There are intermittent BSOD's and the errors listed are inconsistent.    

I ran Memtest86 and immediately got errors.  I then tested each stick separately, which resulted in no errors.  I tried the sticks in different slots, resulting in no errors when individually installed, but when I put in two (either in dual mode slots or separate (A1 and A2 or A1 and B1, etc...)) errors immediately appear.

I then disconnected all the hard drives/dvd from power and tried again.  Same results:  1 stick fine, 2 sticks errors.

I currently have only 1 stick in, to make the machine usable.  My question is, what is my next step to figure out if it is the motherboard (which is under warranty until October) or the processor or something else happening with the power supply?

The BSOD's have occurred both on Win 7 Ultimate and Win 10 (x64).  I am attaching reports from both 1 stick config and 2 stick config.  It is in a new install of Windows 10 x64.  

Any suggestions will be appreciated.  -)

Thanks!

-- UPDATE --

I swapped out the power supply for one that was in a stable, working computer.  I put in the 2 sticks and immediately got errors during MemTest86.  :(

Attached Files

Edited by Rigwald, 08 August 2016 - 11:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:02 AM

Try Prime95's Blend Test (it tests mostly RAM).

The RAM has a lifetime warranty.

The motherboard warranty runs out in October.

I'd suggest contacting the motherboard manufacturer/reseller for instructions on how to RMA it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Rigwald

Rigwald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:32 AM

I am sending the motherboard in today. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users