Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/CD-ROM DRIVE not working properly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:13 PM

The cd/rom drive is not working as it should. It will play music cds but not run installation disk for installing software. I think this may have happened after W-10 update from W-7. I now have W-10 with anniversary update.  (Loving W-10)...As far as I can tell this is the only thing not working, I have searched, but to be honest, I just don`t know what and where to trust updating drivers safely. It may or may not be a driver issue.....Thanks for any advice...Jim

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

Give the W10 section a shot, many issues discussed up there.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:30 AM

Give the W10 section a shot, many issues discussed up there.

Phil

Will do...Thanks  ...At the risk of showing my ignorance...Does C/D drive need flash to read and install drivers that are supplied with programs...? C/D does not read these disks on two updated desktops.   I removed flash from both pcs. Reading all the advice on flash problems, I an trying to do without Flash.....Thanks again....Jim

Edited by Jim-Bo, 09 August 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

Flash player has nothing to do with optical disks, it's content oriented and I consider it strictly an Internet application.  In the minds of many, it's also a security risk that is unnecessary.  I know of no reason to assume that flash is needed to install drivers.

Some Discussion On Security Aspects

Louis

#5 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

Flash player has nothing to do with optical disks, it's content oriented and I consider it strictly an Internet application.  In the minds of many, it's also a security risk that is unnecessary.  I know of no reason to assume that flash is needed to install drivers.

Some Discussion On Security Aspects

Louis

Just eliminating another possibility...I did get the drivers needed for Logitech Web Cam and HP 4380 printer from manufacture website. The main reason I am trying to get this C/D issue fixed is for maybe a no-boot situation (recovery Disk) later on. I learned much from the link you furnished ...Thanks for your reply....jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users