Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 factory reset is stuck

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Robin108

Robin108

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:21 AM

I have an msi laptop with windows 7. I have been experiencing some issues with it. Last night I tried to do a factory reset. The one where you press F3 during startup. Everything seemed like it was going great. The progress bar was moving along. It got all the way to the end and nothing happened. I left it alone overnight hoping it was just slow. This morning it's still displaying the progress bar and the elapsed time is still ticking away. Nothing has changed. I don't know what to do! To add to my sense of panic, there is a note on the top of the screen clearly stating to not touch any key while the reset is happening. Clearly the computer is trying to mess with my mind on purpose. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

A factory reset should never take more than a couple of hours if that. Obviously something is wrong. If you were having issues before the reset the failure could be due to a hardware issue such as a failing hard drive. You will need to stop the reset. 

Do you have access to another computer? If  you do then download UBCD and burn the iso to a CD on a Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot UBCD and at the menu screen select HDD > Diagnosis. Scroll down to Seatools for Dos and do the short/long tests. If Seatools for DOS does not detect your drive then at the UBCD menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop select Disk Health. It could be called GsmartControl. Run the short and long tests. If they pass boot UBCD again and use Memtest86+ to run a memory test. Let it run for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight. 

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users