Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Theme Toolkit v0.9.1 for ALL Windows 10 versions

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:04 AM

I have created a menu-driven toolkit which can add Black Themes to your Windows 10 installations.  It will not work on any version of Windows except for Windows 10, and has safe guards in place to prevent installation of themes which do not work for your specific build.  It can also enable, and create restore points for your added protection.  Here is a screenshot of my File Explorer, and my System Window.  Note:  this program does not customize the drive icons as you see in the picture.  You will need to do that on your own.  This program is self extracting, and puts an icon on the desktop.  It automatically opens a readme text file, and puts a shortcut to it on the desktop also.  This has been tested extensively by many others, and myself, and works perfectly.  Here is the link
https://mega.nz/#!cJpnyJjS!CxDuneCc5Xx-yCpNfqINaNiCa1eD722av3FAIEr0G-k

screenshot_107.png

screenshot_108.png

screenshot_109.png

Edited by dhjohns, 07 August 2016 - 10:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

Is one able to change the default text color used in these themes?

Black themes are very often a godsend for visually impaired individuals where the standard or tweaked high contrast themes may not be.  Very often, though, the best text color is white on black, and I see that what's shown in your screenshots is light orange on black.

If the text color is controllable this might be a great addition to my toolkit when working with my visually impaired clients.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 dhjohns

dhjohns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

Is one able to change the default text color used in these themes?

Black themes are very often a godsend for visually impaired individuals where the standard or tweaked high contrast themes may not be.  Very often, though, the best text color is white on black, and I see that what's shown in your screenshots is light orange on black.

If the text color is controllable this might be a great addition to my toolkit when working with my visually impaired clients.

Yea, basically there are several different themes, and each one has a different text color. Here is a picture of the many themes. The text color is the same as the desktop preview.

screenshot_110.png

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the quick response and additional screen shot.

This could come in very handy over the coming months.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 jpeni

jpeni

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:41 PM

The mega.nz file is no longer available - any chance of getting a new link?

#6 dhjohns

dhjohns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:57 PM

The mega.nz file is no longer available - any chance of getting a new link?

Strange I can't edit the OP, but here is a link to the NEW VERSION v1.1.0!!!
https://mega.nz/#!pFRzGYaI!ir1H7UAlzDbVZPDCwvyxEL8GjlDC9pYiXmSHXCFDj6s

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:49 AM

dhjohns,

I am getting an interesting result that appears to be an amalgam of a black theme and whatever theme I've chosen after installing under the Anniversary Edition but when using a theme that is not one of your black themes.  As I'm typing right now in Chrome, I have a white background with black text as I always have and I am not using one of your black themes.  However, the Start Menu is "blackified" no matter what theme I've chosen.

Also, I'd like to suggest an update to your install process, which is quite nice overall.  When you get to the section about File Explorer settings is there any way to add an option that says, "Keep my settings as I have them"?   I tried option 3, and checking nothing, but it appears that the font has changed in File Explorer.

I have also had a client give feedback about being very nervous with regard to the UAC related menu.  You might want to explain at the top that any changes to UAC are optional and that if you don't want to make any for the purposes of installation then just hit the appropriate option number to keep what you've got.

I would like to "un-blackify" my start menu until or unless I'm using a black theme, but can't seem to accomplish that at the moment.  I will also note that when I bring up things like Settings and the like they're blackified and it is impossible to read any of the text in those dialogs if one is not using a black theme (which I'm not right now) unless one is hovering over it.

There seems to be some cross-interaction between the black theme toolkit and the regular themes whether I want it or not.  I won't uninstall until I hear something back on this thread.  I did create a restore point prior to installing as well.  I will be happy to engage in debugging/diagnostic activities if you wish me to do so.

~ Mark Twain

#8 dhjohns

dhjohns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:02 AM

dhjohns,

I am getting an interesting result that appears to be an amalgam of a black theme and whatever theme I've chosen after installing under the Anniversary Edition but when using a theme that is not one of your black themes.  As I'm typing right now in Chrome, I have a white background with black text as I always have and I am not using one of your black themes.  However, the Start Menu is "blackified" no matter what theme I've chosen.

Also, I'd like to suggest an update to your install process, which is quite nice overall.  When you get to the section about File Explorer settings is there any way to add an option that says, "Keep my settings as I have them"?   I tried option 3, and checking nothing, but it appears that the font has changed in File Explorer.

I have also had a client give feedback about being very nervous with regard to the UAC related menu.  You might want to explain at the top that any changes to UAC are optional and that if you don't want to make any for the purposes of installation then just hit the appropriate option number to keep what you've got.

I would like to "un-blackify" my start menu until or unless I'm using a black theme, but can't seem to accomplish that at the moment.  I will also note that when I bring up things like Settings and the like they're blackified and it is impossible to read any of the text in those dialogs if one is not using a black theme (which I'm not right now) unless one is hovering over it.

There seems to be some cross-interaction between the black theme toolkit and the regular themes whether I want it or not.  I won't uninstall until I hear something back on this thread.  I did create a restore point prior to installing as well.  I will be happy to engage in debugging/diagnostic activities if you wish me to do so.

OK, I am putting in a fix for the blackified stuff in the next version. All the fixes are included in the attached txt file which you will rename as Install.bat, and replace the Install.bat in the Files folder. The file Explorer Option is necessary, as the theme will not work without it just the way it is.

Attached Files

Edited by dhjohns, 28 August 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:41 AM

dhjohns,

I've done the file replacement.  Do I need to uninstall-reinstall or is this something where an "install over existing" style install will do?

Also, with regard to the File Explorer stuff, you might want to add a bit of descriptive text telling which one of options 1 or 2 are most like the default that setup that one is accustomed to under Windows 10.  There are some options there that I have no idea whether I want to enable or disable and I'm not what I'd describe as an unsophisticated user.

~ Mark Twain

#10 dhjohns

dhjohns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:53 AM

dhjohns,

I've done the file replacement.  Do I need to uninstall-reinstall or is this something where an "install over existing" style install will do?

Also, with regard to the File Explorer stuff, you might want to add a bit of descriptive text telling which one of options 1 or 2 are most like the default that setup that one is accustomed to under Windows 10.  There are some options there that I have no idea whether I want to enable or disable and I'm not what I'd describe as an unsophisticated user.

I would uninstall. Choose the default Windows theme BEFORE uninstalling!!!!. Then reboot (probably not necessary, but safe.) Then reinstall.

Edited by dhjohns, 28 August 2016 - 11:53 AM.

#11 dhjohns

dhjohns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

The thing is, it is not going to look like the Windows 10 Explorer. Mine looks like this, although I have customized some drive icons.  This is using option 1.  I also took out Quick Access, Delegate Folders, Onedrive, Homegroup, Network, Removable Drives from Navigation Pane, and added Libraries.

screenshot_156.png

Edited by dhjohns, 28 August 2016 - 11:59 AM.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:24 PM

dhjohns,

Will do as far as uninstall/reinstall.  It seemed like some of the options related to File Explorer would create a menu driven version not unlike earlier versions of Windows - is this correct?   If so a lot of my visually impaired clients would love to go back to the menus instead of the ribbons (not me, though) and I want to make certain that I know how to accomplish that.

~ Mark Twain

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

Just reporting as I go along.

I did the uninstall but I had used the "Windows 10" theme under the default themes in Personalization, not the "Windows" theme, which I realized afterwards was the one probably wanted.  So I selected that and ran the uninstall again (a restart was done between both uninstalls).  I would definitely update the scripts to make explicit that it is the theme named "Windows" under the default themes that one should choose.  I looked at another computer in the house running 1511 and the three default themes are the same as 1607.  At this juncture I still have the "blackification" of my start menu and the window bar at the top of the File Explorer screen along with the system toolbar.  Changing to any other theme at this point is not working as far as changing the Windows border colors or system toolbar.  File Explorer is back to looking like Windows 10 File Explorer.

I have not as yet done a reinstall with the new install batch file and will await specific instructions to do so before proceeding to do that.

If necessary I will use my restore point at the end of all of this.

~ Mark Twain

#14 dhjohns

dhjohns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:33 PM

Just reporting as I go along.

I did the uninstall but I had used the "Windows 10" theme under the default themes in Personalization, not the "Windows" theme.

Just one of the default themes is good.  You are making it way too complicated.  It is really simple.  Since you are using the new script, make sure you uninstall the Ultra Black Theme.

screenshot_157.png

Edited by dhjohns, 28 August 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

dhjohns,

This is not meant to be nasty nor argumentative, as I appreciate the help, but it is not "simple" by even my own metric and I'd have to explain this to someone who's visually impaired.  That's feedback that I hope will be taken in the spirit in which it is intended, which is to help you to improve something you've obviously been putting great effort into.

A good example of that is after choosing "Ultrablack" I am thrown back in to what looks like the main menu again, which presents "Ultrablack" again, but I suppose that I'm supposed to select the install/uninstall choice for my build, which is what I did.  That's truly confusing when a choice you've just made is presented again on the following menu.

I still have a blackified start menu and window bars no matter what theme I'm selecting that's not a black theme.  So what shall I try next?

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users