Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen on laptop Acer Aspire V3-571G

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zony

zony

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:02 AM

My screen went black after long transportation and is probably physically broken.

Unfortunately during several attempts to upgrade windows 8.1 to 10 the Intel graphic driver was inactivated so I can no longer use laptop with neither hdmi nor vga cable.

I've tried to remove cmos battery in order to reset BIOS without success.

Also tried to flash BIOS Q5WV1221.exe file from a USB-stick (fat32) pressing Fn + Esc + power button without success.

Would it activate Intel Graphic driver to flash BIOS with USB-stick? How is that done?

Any suggestions how to activate Intel Graphic driver with a totally black screen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

Would it activate Intel Graphic driver to flash BIOS with USB-stick?

No.

When you boot do you see the Acer logo or a spinning circle? If not then try powercycling the computer. Pull the main battery and power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power adapter but not the main battery. Reboot.

Did the computer come pre-installed with Windows 8.1? Do you need any data from the hard drive?

Sometimes a dead CMOS battery will prevent a computer from booting.

#3 zony

zony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

Would it activate Intel Graphic driver to flash BIOS with USB-stick?

No.

When you boot do you see the Acer logo or a spinning circle? If not then try powercycling the computer. Pull the main battery and power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power adapter but not the main battery. Reboot.

Did the computer come pre-installed with Windows 8.1? Do you need any data from the hard drive?

Sometimes a dead CMOS battery will prevent a computer from booting.

I see only black screen on both laptop screen and external screen connected with hdmi/vga when computer boots after powercycling.

I can hear laptop boot just like before Intel driver was inactivated.

Laptop was pre-installed with Windows 8 and then upgraded to 8.1.

Microsoft support was in the process of helping me remotely upgrading Windows to version 10 due to error 0x8007001f.

This support has been paused due to inactivated Intel graphic driver.

I've already made backup of user data on another partition on same laptop. I also have access to user folders through my local network if xtra backup is needed. Most important data is on another partition on same laptop. A problem with installing a fresh Windows copy is that I do not have the key, although my installation is legal but pre-installed. Making a repair would be difficult on a black sceen. I've tried booting a Windows 8.1 installation DVD but all screens are black.

Edited by zony, 07 August 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

I don't believe a BIOS flash would help and on modern computers it usually is done in Windows only, not DOS. Some OEMs allow a flash when booting from USB but I don't think Acer does this. I looked at your latest BIOS and it only allows update via Windows.

From the description of your problem, black screen using an external monitor and also from a boot disk, this is a hardware problem and I am not sure what else to try as you do not see an Acer logo at boot.

Do you get any kind of screen when you tap F2 at boot?

#5 zony

zony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

Laptop screen is definitely a hardware problem but hdmi cable worked fine until I inactivated Intel graphic driver.

Nvidia driver is still activated but for some reason it does not seem to influence external screen.

When I boot pressing F2 the external screen is black, but it's tricky to see since my screen shifts between mode HDM1, HDM2 and Analog when searching for signal. Regardless I can not see BIOS settings.

There is one pin missing on the VGA cable on both ends. Not sure if that matters.

Edited by zony, 07 August 2016 - 02:40 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

According to this page Acer would not be supporting the V3-571G for use with Windows 10. When you have the VGA or HDMI cable connected to your external monitor can you reset the monitor using it's menu setting? Your VGA cable should have 15pins.

#7 zony

zony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

I've become aware of that page after all the problems upgrading windows 10, and it has giving me second thoughts if Microsoft will ever suceed in upgrading my computer. It's making me curious though.

Settings for my external screen is not available once I pull out HDMI cable from my desktop computer.

My VGA cable has 14 pins. I believe its pin 9 missing.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:16 PM

I just looked at my old VGA monitor and you are correct. The male VGA connector has pin 9 missing. I was looking at this VGA cable. I am not sure what else to try. We are pretty much at a dead end if you cannot get the external to work. I was hoping a boot disk would work but as you posted, even the Windows 8 install disk did nothing.

Did you disable the intel chipset in UEFI/BIOS or in Windows?

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 August 2016 - 04:16 PM.

#9 zony

zony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

Intel driver was disabled in Windows. I was surprised when not even VGA cable would provide active screen.

Somehow Intel graphic driver seems integrated with UEFI otherwise my external screen should not be black while loading UEFI/BIOS.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

Windows 8 and 10 integrate with UEFI a lot more than any previous OS from Microsoft. I am not sure what else to try. Acer has a factory reset but this would be hard to accomplish without a monitor. It may set everything back but you would need to play around with the arrow and tab keys, guessing which keys to press and a reset would cause all your data and programs to be lost. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3kRgRq4yIQ

The only other thing I can think of is to install linux to a spare drive on another computer then place it in the Acer hoping this will give you something other than a blank screen but it's a long shot. 

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/acer-aspire-v3-571-v3-571g-disassembly/

#11 zony

zony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:08 AM

Nice accent in video. Reminds me of Arkansas.

Thanx for all help. I will consider a factory repair controlled by keyboard.

I might also try to boot a Linux installation from DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users