Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia driver freezing the computer while playing or causing BSOD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nori-chan

Nori-chan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:15 AM

Hello everyone.

It's my first time here in the forums, nice to meet you all!

Now, the problems: As in the title, everytime I play games that use the Nvidia card, sometimes (kinda rarely) it freezes the computer, and I have to do a cold reboot to use the computer again.

Another possible way is while the game is open, if you try to watch a video on youtube (in firefox, that doesn't use the dedicated graphics) or if the UAC pops up, it sometimes causes an BSOD (I don't remember the error message, sorry).

I already tried to:

- Reinstall the drivers from Nvidia

- Update the integrated graphics driver, but I can't (the error was that I have to use the manufacturer drivers, but they didn't updated the drivers for  months).

I will upload both files that was asked in the pinned topic.

Info about this computer:

- OS: Windows 10 Education 64-bits (updated, with the Anniversary Update)

- Original OS installed: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bits

- I removed the OS that came installed and installed Windows 10 Education

- Age of the hardware: 2 years

- CPU: Intel core i5 4200U

- Video Card: Nvidia gt 740m - 2GB

- System Manufacturer: Dell

- Laptop model: Vostro 5470

I will run the other tests and post the results by editing this post (if possible).

Thank you for helping me.

PS: The problem was happening even before the Anniversary Update, I also checked with sfc /scannow for any problems, but it was all good.

EDIT: I started the driver verifier, but after restarting, WIndows looks normal (maybe a bit slower?). What should I do? Just leave it like that or try playing a game that uses the graphics card?

Attached Files

Edited by Nori-chan, 07 August 2016 - 12:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:34 PM

Let Driver Verifier run for 36 hours (this is an estimate).
It may make your system seem slower - that is normal.

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the video tests first.

No memory dumps in the uploaded reports

No memory dumps listed in the KernelDumpList.txt report

There are no BSOD's listed in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report

If you are seeing BSOD's, then it's most likely a hardware problem - so complete all the hardware diagnostics that I suggested in a previous paragraph

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A12) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

This device has problems in Device Manager:

Não disponível    ACPI\INT33A0\0    Os drivers para este dispositivo não estão instalados.

This is most often the Intel Smart Connect Device (not supported in W10)

Please disable the Smart Connect device in your BIOS/UEFI.

Post back with the results of ALL of the diagnostics and we'll move on from there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Nori-chan

Nori-chan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:26 AM

Let Driver Verifier run for 36 hours (this is an estimate).
It may make your system seem slower - that is normal.

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the video tests first.

No memory dumps in the uploaded reports

No memory dumps listed in the KernelDumpList.txt report

There are no BSOD's listed in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report

If you are seeing BSOD's, then it's most likely a hardware problem - so complete all the hardware diagnostics that I suggested in a previous paragraph

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A12) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

This device has problems in Device Manager:

Não disponível    ACPI\INT33A0\0    Os drivers para este dispositivo não estão instalados.

This is most often the Intel Smart Connect Device (not supported in W10)

Please disable the Smart Connect device in your BIOS/UEFI.

Post back with the results of ALL of the diagnostics and we'll move on from there.

Here is the results:

- I let the driver verifier run for quite some time (maybe even more than 36 hours). I run it along with furmark for about 3 hours, but nothing crashed and the max temperature was 80°C. And while using the driver verifier, I used the computer like everyday (internet, games, etc), but it only froze the computer when I was playing Black Mesa

- There were some .dmp files, but I think I deleted them by using the disk cleanup without noticing it. Sorry.

- I have found a way to freeze the system by playing a game (Black Mesa), but after freezing the computer for 3 times, it still didn't created any type of .dmp file (yes, the system configuration is allowed to create those files, but nothing is being created).

- I've tried to run the memtest, but for some reason, I can't boot it up. So I run the diagnostic tools that comes with this computer (from Dell, it tests the CPU, fans, Memory, SSD, etc). It passed on every test.

- I checked the Dell's website and I'm using the newest BIOS.

- I checked and I had every windows update installed (except on 08/09/2016, when Windows had some new updates, but before that, only Windows Defender database updates were available).

- I disabled the Intel Smart Connect Device from the BIOS.

For now I will disable the driver verifier.

What should I do now?

Edited by Nori-chan, 11 August 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:46 PM

Keep using the system:

If you get BSOD's, zip up and upload the minidumps to this topic (must be .ZIP)

If you get freezes, recover from the freeze and immediately run this report

If able to make it freeze, do it 3 times before generating the report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users