Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux 17.3 Xfce vs Ubuntu 16.04

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ReneeIII

ReneeIII

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:46 PM

I have an:

Emachine PC made in 2005 

2.7 GB RAM

627.0 GB disk space

1280 x 1024 Resolution 

At present my os is Ubuntu 16.04. I am thinking of changing to Lunux 17.3 Xfce. I would like to know from those whom have used os Ubuntu 16.04 and Linux 17.3 xfce the pros and cons.

Thanks

Renee

Edited by ReneeIII, 06 August 2016 - 10:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:35 PM

The first thing I'd point out is that Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04, and Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04, so the architecture in Ubuntu 16.04 is newer than in Mint 17.3.

Unless there is a specific reason for Mint 17.3, I suggest comparing Mint 18 with Ubuntu 16.04 instead.

As a general note: The Xfce desktop is much lighter than the Unity (Ubuntu) desktop.

#3 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

The first thing I'd point out is that Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04, and Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04, so the architecture in Ubuntu 16.04 is newer than in Mint 17.3.

Unless there is a specific reason for Mint 17.3, I suggest comparing Mint 18 with Ubuntu 16.04 instead.

As a general note: The Xfce desktop is much lighter than the Unity (Ubuntu) desktop.

I chose Mint 17.3 because I read that it is for older machines. Also the spec fitted the spec of my PC. 

I don't understand what you mean by The Xfce desktop is much lighter than the Unity (Ubuntu) desktop. 

You did not answer my original question. You just confused me.

Edited by ReneeIII, 07 August 2016 - 01:51 PM.

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

Thus by your comment I am right to compare Mint 17 is to Ubuntu 14.04.

That is correct. If Mint 17 fits the spec of your pc, then so too would Ubuntu 14.04. Ubuntu 16.04 is also for newer machines.

You did not answer my original question. You just confused me.

I am sorry. "Lighter" means that it uses less system resources, and is more basic. So, Mint Xfce is more basic, and uses less system resources, than Ubuntu.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

I just noticed where you posted the system requirements for Mint 17.3 Xfce.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/622133/slowness-due-to-internal-hardware-breakdown/?p=4057781

If that is what you are going by, the system requirements for Mint 18 Xfce are the same.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3080

Edited by Al1000, 07 August 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#6 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:46 PM

Hey Reneelll,

I run Linux Mint Mate 17.1 and Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on old hardware such as you are describing without any problems.

LM 17.x whatever Mate or Xfce GUI desktops are very light on graphics hardware resources and generally will fly on low powered computers.

What are your hardware specs? processor / graphics adapter / graphics card etc.

Go into terminal and type inxi -Fx and it should tell you what you have in your computer. Copy and paste results so people on the forum can give better assistance for your questions.

If Ubuntu 16.04 is running now LM 17.3 Xfce should run fine.

Edited by vacuum-tube, 07 August 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#7 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

System:    Host: brain Kernel: 4.4.0-31-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
           Desktop: Unity 7.4.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
           Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: s5610f
           Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB7 v: 1.00
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 6.05 date: 09/07/2010
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon II X2 250 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 12000
           clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 1800 MHz 2: 1800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS780L [Radeon 3000]
           bus-ID: 01:05.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780 (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-31-generic
Network:   Card: Failed to Detect Network Card!
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 663.9GB (1.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD6400AAKS size: 640.1GB temp: 38C
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdd model: TransMemory size: 7.8GB temp: 0C
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: USB_3.0_FD size: 16.0GB temp: 0C
Partition: ID-1: / size: 584G used: 7.5G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.95GB used: 0.75GB (26%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 33.9C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 227 Uptime: 6:10 Memory: 1271.6/2755.6MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.461) inxi: 2.2.35 

#8 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:01 PM

Hey Reneelll,

It is not running as well as it use to. PC freezes at times when I am multi tasking. Was thinking of trying LM 17. Xfce and see if it runs better. 

#9 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

Hey Reneelll,

Your computer appears to be quite capable.

Ubuntu 16.04 running Unity GUI / desktop demands quite a lot of resources.

Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce  would run well on your hardware.

I don't really care for the Ubuntu 16.04 or Linux Mint 18 new release as they offer nothing I don't already have now.

Ubuntu 14.04 and Linux Mint 17.x do what I need for an everyday driver without any complaints.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:43 PM

Emachine PC made in 2005 

If this release date is true then I agree with vacuum-tube.  IMO there is no need to run the newest software on old hardware.  I think you will have better luck with 14.04 and or linuxmint 17.xx series.

And, if it were me, would go with Mate over Xfce.  That computer will run Mate with no problems!  The only reason to run Xfce IMO is you have less powerful hardware and less RAM, or you are an Xfce enthusiast.  I've run Mate on hardware with single core cpu's and 2GB of RAM that ran very well.

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

Emachine PC made in 2005 

If this release date is true then I agree with vacuum-tube.  IMO there is no need to run the newest software on old hardware.  I think you will have better luck with 14.04 and or linuxmint 17.xx series.

And, if it were me, would go with Mate over Xfce.  That computer will run Mate with no problems!  The only reason to run Xfce IMO is you have less powerful hardware and less RAM, or you are an Xfce enthusiast.  I've run Mate on hardware with single core cpu's and 2GB of RAM that ran very well.

pcpunk

That is interesting! So the PC freezing is probably due to the RAM being small. For it happens when I am working on several spread sheets and when I rename an Icon. Now I wonder if there is a way to increase the RAM. For many do build the desktops from scratch. I have too many projects now to attempt that at present, though. Now I understand why my son-in-law, whom uses PC for work, buys new PC every 5 years.

I have Ubuntu 14.10 but I don't think it wise to reinstall it for it is no longer supported. Mint 17.3 is supported until 2019 so I am going to buy the DVD on Ebay. It is on $3.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by ReneeIII, 08 August 2016 - 08:39 AM.

#12 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:25 AM

Emachine PC made in 2005 

pcpunk

That is interesting! So the PC freezing is probably due to the RAM being small. For it happens when I am working on several spread sheets and when I rename an Icon. Now I wonder if there is a way to increase the RAM. For many do build the desktops from scratch. I have too many projects now to attempt that at present, though. Now I understand why my son-in-law, whom uses PC for work, buys new PC every 5 years.

I have Ubuntu 14.10 but I don't think it wise to reinstall it for it is no longer supported. Mint 17.3 is supported until 2019 so I am going to buy the DVD on Ebay. It is on $3.

Thanks everyone.

Having more ram theoretically equals a faster running computer providing everything else is good. 

Having more ram allows for doing more things as you have a more space to complete several tasks at one time.

In this case it could be a combination of Ubuntu 16.04 (64bit) requiring more graphic resources than are available and also not enough memory as your integrated graphics adapter is using some of the memory. 

If this is your PC you should be fine with Linux Mint 17.3 Mate or Xfce distro you choose to run.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02479710

Edited by vacuum-tube, 08 August 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:52 PM

That is interesting! So the PC freezing is probably due to the RAM being small. For it happens when I am working on several spread sheets and when I rename an Icon. Now I wonder if there is a way to increase the RAM.

Not sure about this, you would have to do some diagnostics to find out.  You could start by monitoring the RAM and CPU usage, which is something everyone should learn.  In most distro's there is a System Monitor that you can open and look at it during your normal work tasks.  Simple enough, just see if it is maxing out.  If the link V.T. provided is your pc, then you are able to put up to 8GB of RAM.  Models vary though, so you would have to provide the EXACT model #.  That is a Slimline and you said Emachine.

"Supports up to 8 GB on 64-bit systems (DIMMs run at DDR3-1066)"

You can also look at how much of your "swap" is being used, which is like the "pagefile" in Windows.

I'm not familiar with Re-naming Icons, but if they are default Icons it could cause issues.  You might need to start another Thread to get into this better.  

We also don't know if your hardware is good, with such an old pc, who knows without diagnostics.  When HDD's start failing all kinds of weird stuff will happen.  

We don't know if your iso was downloaded properly either, or maybe you bought this Installation DVD online?

You can download any of these distro's your self for free, did you know that?

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 ReneeIII

ReneeIII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

That is interesting! So the PC freezing is probably due to the RAM being small. For it happens when I am working on several spread sheets and when I rename an Icon. Now I wonder if there is a way to increase the RAM.

Not sure about this, you would have to do some diagnostics to find out.  You could start by monitoring the RAM and CPU usage, which is something everyone should learn.  In most distro's there is a System Monitor 

We don't know if your iso was downloaded properly either, or maybe you bought this Installation DVD online?

You can download any of these distro's your self for free, did you know that?

pcpunk

I remember when I had windows os seeing the monitor. I don't know where it is on ubuntu. Did not see in settings. Can you point me to it?

My son-in-law downloaded a free ISO for me last year. It would not work so I bought a DVD on Ebay. 

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,864 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:24 PM

I don't use Ubuntu, but you can try to type "system monitor" into the Launcher.  If it don't come up, go to the "Software Center" and install it.  Here is an article about multiple system monitors available. The standard system monitor is the one to the bottom.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/5-system-monitoring-tools-for-ubuntu

Edited by pcpunk, 08 August 2016 - 03:30 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users