Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CORSAIR DDR3L RAM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azisel

azisel

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

Hi guys! Why is my RAM CORSAIR DDR3L doesn't show as DDR3L in the system report? Anybody know why? Does this RAM support my MBP?

28we80p.png

jr72ok.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

Hi guys! Why is my RAM CORSAIR DDR3L doesn't show as DDR3L in the system report? Anybody know why? Does this RAM support my MBP?

28we80p.png

jr72ok.png

Your Mac wouldn't have recognized them if they weren't supported. May be one of OS Xs software glitches. Do you have a link to the exact chips?

#3 azisel

azisel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 09:47 PM

Here's the link. http://frys.com/product/8042214?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:02 PM

It looks like it's normal when I viewed others "About This Mac" like the one here that has the same spec MBP as yours.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:52 AM

DDR3L is basically just DDR3 RAM that is designed to run at a voltage of 1.35V as opposed to the 1.5V that DDR3 is typically set to run (it is a bit more complicated than that). As I understand it, it can also run at 1.5V.

So, my guess is that Apple doesn't differentiate this particular detail in "About This Mac" and the System Information.

As stated by Buddyme2, if the Mac did not "like" the RAM SODIMMs, then it would not have recognized them and more importantly would not have booted...or you would be having problems.

If you really want to test the RAM, you can run Memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm#linux

If there are any problems with the RAM, then it will show up in the Memtest86 run.

#6 azisel

azisel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

Thank you everyone! I just have one last question about this topic. Would it be better to use the DDR3 only or DDR3L is way better? performance? I'm guessing DDR3L saves me electric bills? lol and the DDR3 runs in higher which means full power/speed? I'm just guessing.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:18 AM

Thank you everyone! I just have one last question about this topic. Would it be better to use the DDR3 only or DDR3L is way better? performance? I'm guessing DDR3L saves me electric bills? lol and the DDR3 runs in higher which means full power/speed? I'm just guessing.

Again, I would use what is recommended from memory selectors from the likes of Crucial.com or macsales.com. Both of these sites recommend DDR3L.

I will further add that you can look up what your Mac requires on Everymac.com. Here is the listing for your model on Everymac.com:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.5-13-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html

It lists DDR3L.

I believe this is because those model of Mac uses an Ivy Bridge iCore processor, which requires the lower power RAM...aka DDR3L.

I will also note that DDR3L is also "backwards" compatible with DDR3, which means it will run at 1.5V for computers that require 1.5V memory. This is why you might see DDR3L pop-up as recommended by say Crucial when DDR3 will work...it allows them to keep just one type of RAM in stock.

DDR3 may or may not run at 1.35V...you will find people who claim to be running 1.5V DDR3 RAM is systems that require 1.35V...I believe this is because there is some tolerance in the DDR3 spec and some DDR3 RAM might be on the "looser" side of that tolerance and thus work...others have instability with DDR3 RAM in a system that requires DDR3L.

The end result is that your system calls for DDR3L RAM, which is what you bought, and thus that is what you should use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users