Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSE alternative update idea

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:25 PM

MSE alternative update idea

"...Microsoft Security Essentials...virus definitions won't update..."

I had, off/on, for years, this problem, here's what I finally, recently, did:

Created a MSE DNLD shortcut to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87341"

Addendum:  BC's Quietman7's followup post is spot-on!  Mine is W7Pro 64bit; go here for the 32-bit:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx

Created a MSE RUN shortcut to: [to whatever directory you downloaded]\mpam-feX64.exe

Twice weekly, I do MSE DNLD first, then MSE RUN.  No more update hangups.  Once the biggie EXE downloads, it silently updates MSE real fast.

I recommend either Internet Explorer or Firefox to download that EXE, 'cause GChrome often returns something like "File Security Check Fail" at almost every download, even ones from Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity type web sites.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 August 2016 - 04:53 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:35 AM

The shortcut points to the direct 64-bit download. The original downlooad links are provided on the Malware Protection Center website for 32-bit and 64-bit OS.

Alternate definition download links are provided by MajorGeeks.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:38 PM

Hi:

In addition to @quietman7's expert advice....

You wrote:

"...Microsoft Security Essentials...virus definitions won't update..."

I had, off/on, for years, this problem, here's what I finally, recently, did:

It looks as if you have an identical thread at another forum, where you wrote:

Along with MSE and Windows 7 Firewall, In action, is only Emsisoft Anti-Malware and until yesterday - HitmanPro & its Alert.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong. But, at the EAM site, it clearly states: "Antivirus and Anti-Malware, all-in-one"

If you are running both MSE and EAM, you are running 2 AVs.

Perhaps that might be contributing to your updating issues with MSE?

(Running 2 AVs can cause slowdowns, conflicts and other performance issues.)

You might want to consider cleanly removing either MSE or EAM, using a removal tool, if available.

(For real-time anti-malware protection alongside MSE, you might consider MBAM Premium.  Unlike EAM, it is *only* an anti-malware product and is specifically designed to run alongside any of the popular AVs, including MSE.)

Hope this helps,

MM

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:50 PM

MoxieMomma, you're correct, the thread because it is not asking for advice rather just giving a simplistic work-around is actually in four places; not because I know much, rather, because I think it's time to give W7F & MSE [or WD] another try.  The pay-fors such as AVG, Avast, Avira, and others have become more and more like Swiss Army Knives, have more and more been problematic in different ways. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

Hi:

Thanks for clarification.

I was confused when you reported having to devise a workaround for a problem (and one that does not seem to be all that common).

As I read your posts, it seems as if the MSE updating problem might be at least partially related to the other AV on the system, as is often the case.

I suppose that, if one were to remove one of the 2 resident anti-virus applications, one might not need a workaround at all, as the underlying problem might be resolved by having only one installed AV?

<just a thought>

In any event, there is no "perfect" or best anti-virus (or overall security strategy) that works for everyone.  Each has advantages/disadvantages, fans/detractors.

Thanks for posting your method.

Cheers,

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

...The pay-fors such as AVG, Avast, Avira, and others have become more and more like Swiss Army Knives, have more and more been problematic in different ways. 

I forgot to finish my sentence:  ...have more and more been problematic, in different ways, that I uninstalled all three AVs over the last two years.  AVG went some time ago.  Avast a few months ago.  Avira just last week.  Only Emsisoft Anti-Malware remains.  AVG, Avast, Avira, was active successively, not concurrently.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 August 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:04 AM

Youse guys and gals gave good advice about not having two AVs running at the same time, so within MSE I unclicked all "action" boxes except for a scheduled scan daily 7pm.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:35 PM

I don't think MSE will find much of anything if EAM is installed as your primary anti-virus.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

I don't think MSE will find much of anything if EAM is installed as your primary anti-virus.

Probably not, however, it's a good 2nd opinion if EAM goes "off" temporarily.

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:50 PM

Probably not, however, it's a good 2nd opinion if EAM goes "off" temporarily.

@quietman7 will correct me if I am wrong, but having both AVs installed -- even if one is "disabled" or turned off from real-time scanning -- can still lead to problems (because the drivers are still loading...)

AFAIK, best practices would entail fully and cleanly removing all remnants of other AVs, keeping only ONE AV installed and running.
Similarly, one real-time anti-malware application.

A better approach for "second-opinion" scanning might be Zemana Anti-Malware (free), ESET online scanner, Sophos Virus Removal tool, and other specialized, manual tools, etc.

"More" is not always "better".

Perhaps have a look at some of @quietman7's excellent, authoritative tutorials HERE about "best practices".

Cheers

Edited by MoxieMomma, 08 August 2016 - 04:50 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

...@quietman7 will correct me if I am wrong, but having both AVs installed -- even if one is "disabled" or turned off from real-time scanning -- can still lead to problems (because the drivers are still loading...

That is true as general rule but I would add there typical are more problems to contend with than just drivers.

EAM was the exception to that rule. When first introduced, Emsisoft was intended to be a supplement (similar to Malwarebytes) to one's existing anti-virus solution. Over the years as new features were incorporated into EAM to make it even better, they continued to make their product compatible with most anti-virus programs and offer work arounds if a conflict arose. Eventually Emsisoft decided to make EAM a full stand-alone anti-virus solution in and of itself. The knowledge-base article was then released...

Are Emsisoft products fully compatible with other security products?

No.

Emsisoft products were originally designed to complement antivirus and firewall software. Today this is no longer the case, with Emsisoft now providing a full replacement for any antivirus and/or firewall software. As such, some of Emsisoft's protection modules are not compatible with other antivirus software. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a complete anti-malware and anti-virus solution and offers solid protection. Emsisoft Internet Security also includes these features, but with the addition of a firewall for comprehensive protection of your computer.

Last November, when asked about this, Fabian Wosar said the following.

The thing with compatibility is that it outright blocks a whole bunch of features we would like to add. That is why we no longer recommend using EAM alongside any other AV software. At the moment we are still compatible with pretty much all of them and if we can easily work around a conflict we will still do so. However, we no longer consider a degradation of compatibility a blocker for new features.

With all that said I have personally used EAM with ESET NOD32 for many years without issues. Even after EAM became a full featured anti-virus/anti-malware solution in and of itself I have continued to use both together. I do not recommend this combo for everyone, especially novice users, but it works well for my systems and allows me to keep up with new features introduced in both products so I can answer questions asked by other users.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:26 PM

I will be watching both EAM and MSE very closely for any current and/or potential problem.  So far, with MSE's action limited to running a scheduled scan, so good, for now.  MoxieMomma is very correct!  I eventually removed AVG zombie from underneath both Avast AV and Avira AV -- both taking quarterly turns being the AV in charge.  For awile Avast and Avira did ok together.  Suddenly after some upgrade of some sort, Avast began missing a dlll hiding in plain site over and over -- Avast was removed.  Later, by itself, Avira decided to attempt to "safetysearch.avira" my msIE, so a few days ago, Avira was totally removed.  Only MSE and EAM survived the purge.  Purge?  Yes, purge of late 2015-early 2016: Spybot S&D v2 is gone.  PayFors SuperAntispyware, MBAM & MBAE, Comodo IS, all gone.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 August 2016 - 09:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users