Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant get pc to recognize speakers, headphones, etc.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TehQueenKoopa

TehQueenKoopa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

I'm having trouble getting my computer to recognize any kind of audio device.

I'm on a dell inspirion 3847, running windows 8.1, which I've just factory reset earlier today.

Whenever I plug in an audio device, and the. Double click the volume button in the bottom right, it says checking for problems and then says there isn't an audio device plugged in. Even though I've tried this with both my headphones and speakers...
I've completely factory restored everything back, and I'm still having the same issues. I've checked device manager, it says realtek audio is enabled, and all the drivers are up to date and such .

I'm not sure what else to do, I don't currently have internet access to my computer (I'm posting this on my phone) so I'm limited to what I can try

Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TehQueenKoopa

TehQueenKoopa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

https://s8.postimg.org/um9cwh085/IMAG0100.jpg

Also I think it might be a hardware issue.. I'm not the best with hardware, but I feel like there might be something missing from back here ?

#3 xAnti_HerOx

xAnti_HerOx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hey TehQueen, 

Since you have factory reset the entire machine there is very little that is left to try to do. 

Try Installing the Up to Date Default Audio Driver from the Manufacturer's Website then Reboot and See if You Still Have Issues Detecting the Audio Device. 

For Windows 8.1 , 64 Bit

Last Updated: 06 Jan 2014

Realtek Driver Found Link Here http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01762957M/1/3847_Audio_Driver_0DDJY_WN_6.0.1.7016_A00.EXE

Dell Inspiron Driver Full Page Found Here : http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-3847-desktop/drivers?os=wb64a

If the Driver still fails to detect an audio device, try a different device such as Headphones or AUX Speakers. 

Last Updated: 06 Jan 2014

4mKMIUp.jpg

"The human spirit must prevail over technology". -Albert Einstein 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:23 PM

You are right - there are things missing from your computer, well, not exactly missing but removed. I take it this computer is second hand ?

It looks like the previous owner had three expansion cards fitted and removed them before he sold it on. This would in no way impact on how your computer works. However he seems to have removed all four covering pieces and not replaced any of them. Why all four should have been removed when there are only three visible ports escapes me, but a lot of people remove them to fit for exammple video cards and then throw them away. Since their main function is to keep dust out you can safely just cover the holes up with sticky tape if you can't find the correct sized pieces.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

Open the Device Manager and click on Sound, video and game controllers and double click on your audio device.  Click/tap on Driver and uninstall the driver.  When you restart the computer Windows will install a new driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users