Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot when trying to run chkdsk on SSD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
Laptop: ASUS K52F

Note: I first posted this to MajorGeeks and did not receive an answer so am posting it here.

My disk drive was going bad so I had it replaced several weeks ago with a solid state drive. Now the laptop is incredibly fast. Today I decided to run chkdsk for no particular reason other than I periodically ran this in the past on my old drive and did not think that it might not work with the SSD. Oops - now the laptop would not boot at all!!  All I saw was a dark screen even after many minutes of waiting.  I pressed F8 on boot and tried to boot into safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, or safe mode with networking. Failure - the laptop would not boot - only got a blank screen. I let the laptop sit for several minutes with each of the boot options but there was no action on the screen, just blank. Then I tried booting to the last known configuration and this worked!! I tried several boots and all appears to be okay.  Note that after each attempt to run chkdsk, I checked the event viewer for chkdsk logs - there were none - so apparently chkdsk never ran.

So the question is:  Why when trying to run chkdsk on my SSD did the system not boot?  Perhaps chkdsk cannot be run on a SSD?  Or am I missing something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

chkdsk is not required on a SSD because it repairs bad sectors automatically. That being said, I never heard of chkdsk on a SSD causing your problem.

Tap F8 at boot and select Use Last Known Good Configuration.

If that does not work then I would boot a System Repair Disk and do a Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts to finish the repair.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:28 PM

Hi,

What parameters did you use to run chkdsk?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

Very many things must not be used in the event if you have a SSD, Many things, what you were used if had HDD definitely not recommend. You must investigate whether is allowed to use with SSD.
For example, do not forget the defragment is not allowed, file wiping not allowed, etc. Such a things should not be used never.

#5 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

I ran chkdsk as:    CHKDSK C: /F /R

I was able to boot to the last known good configuration which worked fine.

Is there a list of what is and is not recommended to be executed on a SSD?

Thank you.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:32 PM

Don't defrag it and don't wipe it. 

Windows 7 by default enabled defrag through Task Scheduler every Wednesday. Make sure it is disabled.

See these tips. If you do not have AHCI enabled then do not enable it as this could prevent Windows from booting if it was disabled during install.

http://www.disk-partition.com/kb/tips-ssd-optimization-windows7-1.html

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:37 AM

I ran chkdsk as:    CHKDSK C: /F /R

I was able to boot to the last known good configuration which worked fine.

Is there a list of what is and is not recommended to be executed on a SSD?

Thank you.

Its not recommended to run chkdsk with /R on a SSD only with /F to detect and repair File System errors.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users