Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duckduckgo

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dehoo

dehoo

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

Hi,

I tried DDG as my search engine and found that I do not like it.  Problem now is, I cannot uninstall it.  I have removed from search engine list completely and make Google the default once again however when I hit the home button it will always go back to DDG.

I cannot find the process in task manager or control panel.

Any ideas?  I have found the this could possible be some sort of hijack....  Maybe, maybe not?

I will run a Malware scan now.

All help/info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 07 August 2016 - 04:38 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

What browser are you using the search engine with?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

Chrome, Firefox.  Has shown up on both however only installed it on Chrome.  I also rarely use IE however this is not installed on.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

Do you see it listed in your addons or extensions for each browser?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:53 PM

It was in Firefox (removed) and it is not in Chrome at all that I can find.  There is a little Duck head still in FF and nothing on Chrome other than always defaulting back to DDG.  When I remove it from "Other Search engines", it just comes back.

PS.  Google is selected as default

Edited by dehoo, 06 August 2016 - 04:02 PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

See this Mozilla support topic: How can I remove DuckDuckGo completely from Firefox? It is not listed in addons.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Ok, so not a lot of that was able to fix this.  It did remove it from Firefox however it is still in Chrome and I cannot find it anywhere to remove.

Malware bytes scan showed all is good.

In chrome it is not showing up in search engines or other search engines.  If I open a new tab and click home, it will take me to DDG.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:31 PM

Tried this suggestion from Duck Duck Go? https://duck.co/forum/thread/1710/how-can-i-delete-duckduckgo-from-chrome

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

Found the issue,  it was in chrome on the s"On start up" tab under set pages.....  I have removed it from there.  Strange how it did not show up in extensions or be removed when taken out of search engines. 

Thanks again for your help.  Muchly appreciated!

Belay all that, it just came back...   What is going on?

Edited by dehoo, 06 August 2016 - 04:40 PM.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

Give this a go....

https://www.google.com/chrome/cleanup-tool/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#11 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:04 PM

Hi,

Ran the tool, It did not find any programs however when resetting everything, it seems to have removed DDG.  What a pain in the butt!  They say DDG is better and it will not track you like Google, however they seem to hide the program/engine all over your machine as not to find it to remove.....Hmmm.

Well I hope that is it and all gone now.

Thank you for your help!

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

My pleasure !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#13 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

They say DDG is better and it will not track you like Google

Have a look at 'StartPage.'  It gives you the best of two worlds: Google search results, with  privacy protection.

I use it with Firefox & it's also available for Chrome.

https://www.startpage.com/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users