Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashes to Colored Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nimane9

nimane9

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:37 PM

Hi all,

I have had this problem for some time, and it's begun to happen so often to the point that I'm sick of trying to find my own solutions for it.

When I run games such as Grand Theft Auto 5 and Fallout 4, or intensive programs such as Adobe Premiere, I seem to run into an issue where my computer crashes after some time. The game/program will be running fine for a bit, then crash. The audio will then seem to glitch out, and each monitor changes to a random color (see http://imgur.com/a/Cey2g ).

My CPU had been getting high temperatures (around 80C) so I thought that was the problem. I purchased a CPU cooler so now the temperatures rest around 50C - 60C during intensive games, but I still get the crashes.

My GPU temperatures don't seem to be getting abnormally high. They looked like they were around 60C when I last was monitoring during GTAV.

I have tried removing one stick of RAM, and then swapping it out for the other, but that hasn't helped at all. I used the AMD Crimson (I believe that's the name) software to update my drivers, and I still get the issue.

Thanks,

Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:15 PM

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the video tests, as that's what I suspect from your description.

Do you have a spare video card?  If so, can you try it to see if that stops the problem?

Don't go out and buy another one as this is only a guess on my part (unless you can return it for your money back).

Wait for the next time that the computer crashes, then recover and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 nimane9

nimane9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:45 PM

Sorry for the late response, hopefully you end up seeing this.

I generated all of the reports in that guide, hopefully you find something.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare video card to test.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

While we're troubleshooting, if the problem happens again, please zip up and upload the temperature log (I spoke about this in my previous post)

AMD OverDrive (AODDriver2.sys) is either a stand-alone application, or a component of the AMD VISION Engine Control Center.  This driver is known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems.

NOTE:  these symptoms were from the previous release of OverDrive.  The new release uses the same driver name, but is dated from 4 November 2013.

Please un-install all AMD/ATI video stuff from Control Panel...Programs...Un-install a program.
Please note that I stated "video stuff", as some integrated processors may have the graphics chip built in (which may involve the chipset software).
Then, download (but DO NOT install) a fresh copy of the ATI drivers from http://www.amd.com (in the upper right corner of the page)
Use this procedure to install the DRIVER ONLYhttp://www.sysnative.com/forums/showthread.php/668-ATI-video-cards-DRIVER-ONLY-installation-procedure

If the device (AODDriver or AODDriver4.01) remains a problem, open Device Manager, select the "View" item.
Then select "Show hidden devices" and scroll down to the Non-Plug and Play Drivers section.
Locate the AODDriver entry, right click on it and select "Un-install".  Reboot for changes to take affect.

Sometimes the entry will remain in Device Manager even though you've removed it.  So, open up Device Manager and check for the AODDriver4.2.0 (it may have another number).  Right click on it and select "Uninstall".  If it asks to remove software, put a check in the box.  Then click on OK.

Sometimes the driver remains and continues to cause BSOD's.  If this is the case for you, post back and we'll give further instructions for safely removing it.

Be sure, somewhere in this process, that you have updated your drivers to the latest, compatible version.

If overclocking, please stop. Remove the overclock and return the system to stock/standard values while we're troubleshooting. Once the system is stable again, feel free to resume the overclocking.

Install your USB 3.0 drivers - the perfmon report says they're not installed.

Only 235 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most systems with SP1 have 350-400 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

MSI Afterburner (along with EVGA Precision and Riva Tuner) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 nimane9

nimane9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:34 PM

Alright, I believe I have the USB drivers installed now.

I think I have Windows completely updated, and MSI Afterburner is gone.

I believe I'm underclocked through my BIOS, and I'm even crashing on games like Morrowind.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:05 AM

What about the hardware diagnostics and the AMD OverDrive?

If still crashing after that, then we'll get some more reports (depends on the type of crash).

#7 nimane9

nimane9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:20 AM

I uninstalled OverDrive and am still getting the issue.

Which is the video test that I should run? FurMark?

Thanks.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:32 AM

I asked that you run ALL of the diagnostics.

That includes ALL of the video tests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users