Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Crash From Antivirus Incompatabilty

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jim booth

jim booth

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:48 AM

Hey all,

well I bleeped up my comp again and my dad is going crazy
Anyway The idiot left the antivirus software outdated (due to not renewing subscription while I was away) thus I had a severly outdated norton, while searching for a new product, I loaded AVG antivirus (the free version) but forgot to uninstall norton, since then the comp simply does not start up at all when I push the startup button, is there anyway I can fix this, or do I have to go to the manufacture?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:54 AM

You mean when you actually touch it it doesent even start? like....it jsut doesent do anything?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:26 PM

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode, assuming you can get that far?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

Maybe one of your wires is fried? Happened to my friend, some days her computer wouldnt even actually start when u hit the button and some it would and i replaced the wire and it worked perfect and it turned out the tihng was like fried.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:02 AM

If you get no response when you push the power on button - no lights - no fans - no bios starting, it would seem to be a hardware or electric supply problem, not software.

Make sure the on-off switch on the back of the computer has not been turned off (if it has one), the power cord is both plugged into the electric recepticle and firmly into the computer, and that there is electricity coming from the electric outlet.
If you use a power strip or surge protector make sure the power is on.

I know these steps are basic, but you would be amazed how many times they are the problem.

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 August 2006 - 01:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users