Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Update consuming 50% of CPU and not updating

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Thegeekatron

Thegeekatron

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

I've had this problem for a while and have had to disable update because of the ridiculous CPU usage, I am told that there is a fix in the latest update but I can't install it because the checking for updates is literally doing nothing and consuming 50% of my CPU. I go onto "check for updates" and it is supposedly checking. Is there anyway I could install this update manually?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

- Visit this website (for the time being) EVERY month after the 2nd tuesday of the month (= MS Update day):

http://wu.krelay.de/en/

It contains instructions on how to get "Windows Update" moving again. Make sure you pick the right version (32 bit or 64 bit) for your system.

#3 Thegeekatron

Thegeekatron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:24 PM

- Visit this website (for the time being) EVERY month after the 2nd tuesday of the month (= MS Update day):

http://wu.krelay.de/en/

It contains instructions on how to get "Windows Update" moving again. Make sure you pick the right version (32 bit or 64 bit) for your system.

That just brought up "Windows Standalone Updater" which said "Searching for updates on this computer", which is taking forever... I've read online that this problem is kind of hopeless, and if that's the case I'm really mad I didn't upgrade to Windows 10.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 04:39 PM

It's the Windows Update Service that is taking up all your CPU. Once the Update Service has started you cannot install an update. Either stop the Windows Update Service or reboot and immediately install the update as the Windows Update Service has a delayed start. 

If you still have an update problem after downloading the updates and latest Update Client install the June 2016 rollup and the prerequisite KB3020369

If you do not have IE11 or .NET 4.6.1 it would be a good idea to install those too.

Reboot after install all updates and try again. It could take from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

#5 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:03 PM

- Did the OP disable the Service called "Wuauserv" before trying to install those individual updates ?

#6 Thegeekatron

Thegeekatron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:19 AM

It's the Windows Update Service that is taking up all your CPU. Once the Update Service has started you cannot install an update. Either stop the Windows Update Service or reboot and immediately install the update as the Windows Update Service has a delayed start. 

If you still have an update problem after downloading the updates and latest Update Client install the June 2016 rollup and the prerequisite KB3020369

If you do not have IE11 or .NET 4.6.1 it would be a good idea to install those too.

Reboot after install all updates and try again. It could take from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

You were definitely right about the update service, once I had set the Windows Update service to manual and stopped it before every download, it restarted but would download. It turns out I have all of the things already save for the June 2016 rollup, yet I don't seem to be able to install that, none of the direct download links from other sites work and it isn't on the page itself. There is a JULY rollup which supposedly is an improvement on the June 2016 Rollup, should I install that instead?

Edited by Thegeekatron, 07 August 2016 - 06:20 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:53 AM

I missed that, sorry. Yes do the July rollup and also KB3020369 if you do not have it.

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:18 AM

- If you have installed all updates up to say may 2016 then DO NOT install the june 2016 "Roll Up" package because it can take up to an hour to install that update. Other updates take only say 2 minutes each to install. Only install the "Roll Up"  right after when you've done a fresh re-install of Win 7 SP 1.

- The user needs (for the time being) to use Internet Explorer to be able to download that june 2016 "Roll Up" update. Chrome or Firefox won't "do the trick".

- From july 2016 onwards the roll up updates will be a different update. It contains all the (optional ??) updates for that particular month in one package. There's NO relationship with the june 2016 "Roll Up" update.

Edited by Willy22, 07 August 2016 - 08:43 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:30 AM

@Willy22, I thought it was the cumulative April 2016 Convenience rollup update that had all updates from SP1, not the June or July rollup. I can download the standalone July 2016 rollup with Chrome here and it is only 26MB. The April 2016 rollup is over 400MB.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 August 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

- As long as we're talking about the same "Convenience Roll Up" package (and we are), I don't want to waste energy quibbling over whether it was a June, May or an April Update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

- Are Chrome or Firefox already able to download that 400 MB package ? Is the code of that one particular MS webpage already changed/updated ? To be frank, there's a reason why I hate both browsers. I still use IE (as much as possible).

- I wrote for SYSNATIVE a guide of how to solve this nagging "Windows Update" problem. See reply #10 in this thread.

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/20476-guide-windows-7-very-slow-scan-times-when-checking-updates.html

Edited by Willy22, 07 August 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the link. I only mentioned that it was not the July rollup that was huge, but the April. I don't think it would hurt for the OP to install the July rollup. Personally I would never use a browser such as IE if I could not easily disable scripts on a web page. 

#12 Thegeekatron

Thegeekatron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

- As long as we're talking about the same "Convenience Roll Up" package (and we are), I don't want to waste energy quibbling over whether it was a June, May or an April Update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574

- Are Chrome or Firefox already able to download that 400 MB package ? Is the code of that one particular MS webpage already changed/updated ? To be frank, there's a reason why I hate both browsers. I still use IE (as much as possible).

- I wrote for SYSNATIVE a guide of how to solve this nagging "Windows Update" problem. See reply #10 in this thread.

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/20476-guide-windows-7-very-slow-scan-times-when-checking-updates.html

I missed that, sorry. Yes do the July rollup and also KB3020369 if you do not have it.

I'll install the July Rollup, seeing as I can't install the June Rollup which supposedly fixes the 50% cpu and taking forever to do so problem I don't know if this is going to work. I'm hoping that the features from the June rollup are included in the July rollup because otherwise I don't know how I'm going to fix this.

And once again, even with internet explorer there is no "Download" page for the June rollup and the direct links lead me to a 404 Page not Found error.

Edited by Thegeekatron, 07 August 2016 - 12:13 PM.

#13 Thegeekatron

Thegeekatron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:13 PM

Update (The irony...): After installing the July Rollup I restarted to find that there weren't any important updates available, with 4 optional ones, so I'm assuming that it checked almost immediately (the service was set to automatic-delayed start and had started upon the restart). I am also pleased to see that my CPU isn't being slaughtered by Windows Update anymore. I haven't clicked check for updates again in case something is still messed up but I hope that everything is sorted now.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Edit: Seems a second check was just performed, there are 8 important updates apparently... I am installing all of them.

Edited by Thegeekatron, 07 August 2016 - 12:14 PM.

#14 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

- One last question: did you install the "Convenience Roll Up" package and if so: how much time did it take to install it. ?

#15 Thegeekatron

Thegeekatron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:40 AM

- One last question: did you install the "Convenience Roll Up" package and if so: how much time did it take to install it. ?

If you mean the June Rollup I couldn't install it, I had to install the July one instead. I don't know what you mean by the convenience update but the July one took about 25 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users