Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Defender Won't Auto Start

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cssman

cssman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

64-bit.

One of your great techs here checked out my machine and is convinced it is a MS bug. I don't have another AV going, and system says it is set to real-time protection. I changed from delayed-start to start, and still no change. When I reboot, I have to manually start up Defender. Any ideas? Any experts on Defender here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

That is not a bug.

Windows Defender itself will not start the GUI until you want to open the app, or it wants to send the notification. You will see the Windows Defender service running. However, like you said, many people were not aware that Windows Defender was enabled, so in Windows 10 Anniversary Update, they always show the icon in the system tray

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 cssman

cssman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:28 PM

Is there a way that it can be tested? Because if I start it manually, I see it in the tray. But if I simply reboot, I don't see it.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

Yes you can. Restart your computer, open Task Manager > Go to Services tab

You will see WinDefend service. Just check on the Status to see if it is running

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#5 cssman

cssman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

I mean to activate and make the GUI come forward.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

Without knowing more details

Go into Control Panel, select Security and Maintenance, expand the Security arrow

You should see Virus Protection: Windows Defender is helping to protect your PC.

It runs in the background and you do not need to start it manually

Once in a while, you will get a notification it needs to run, if so that's when you get to run it yourself

Also expand the Maintenance arrow

You should see Automatic Maintenance: No action needed

If those aren't happening, let us know

I don't have the Win10 Anniversary Update yet but if you do CKing123 has provided some information

#7 cssman

cssman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

okay, so I downloaded and installed W10 Anniversary Update last night, and yes, it does provide WIndows Defender in hidden in the tray. Only thing, now when I try to update definitions, I get error code 0x80240022. Any idea what that's all about?

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:29 AM

Can you manually install the drivers from here?: https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx

Go down to Windows Defender in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 and choose your architecture (32bit or 64bit. If you don't know, let us know.) to download

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#9 cssman

cssman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

No, I don't know how to choose architecture. Also, maybe you can give more details on manually installing drivers?

-Thanks CKing

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:34 AM

cssman,

The architecture choice is straightforward on the download page.

You most likely have a 64-bit machine unless it's rather old, but the way to confirm your hardware's architecture is to open the System properties of Control Panel.  If you type "control panel" in Cortana that's the first item that will be returned.  Just hit enter to open it.  Then choose "System" from the Control Panel and look under the "System" section, "System type" entry in the dialog that opens.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

Whoops! Not the drivers, I meant Definitions.

Go to the page, press Ctrl + F and search "Windows Defender in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1" (without quotes), and on the right-side you choose the architecture

There is a simple way to find the architecture

Press the Windows keyX

Click on System

Here is what will tell you if you have 64-bit or 32-bit OS

p1sowuj.png

It will be 64/32-bit Operating System

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 07 August 2016 - 10:37 AM.

Github | Keybase

#12 cssman

cssman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:48 AM

Okay, so it updated.  Do I need to do this everyday until MS fixes the problem?

#13 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:51 AM

Try to update the definitions tomorrow using Windows Defender. Let us know if you can.

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#14 cssman

cssman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:27 AM

Okay, it's tomorrow, and I still cannot update the definitions. Last night I tried changing my DNS from Google to OpenDNS to see if that was the problem, but it didn't make a difference. Here are a couple of the screenshots involved in trying to update.

2djngd5.png

2q1i1lg.png

#15 cssman

cssman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:04 AM

Figured I'd share this with you guys for all your help. Off of the start menu is "Find and Fix Windows Update Problems." I clicked it, and  it found 5 problems. Now Defender definitions update as they should. Problem Solved!

Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users