Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event Viewer Error

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

Hello folks,

My first time posting here. Was not sure if this is the right place to post for my issue.

In Event Viewer>Custom Views>Administrative Events:

Error: Source: DHCPv6

Client>Event ID: 1000

Task Category: Address Configuration State Event

General: Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 2XXX:XXX:cXXX:XXX:1 on the Network Card with network address 0x08XXXF23XX19. Note: Removed my real address for privacy purposes.

I Google searched this error and found:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726900(v=ws.10).aspx

I followed the instructs given there, everything checked out.

I also tried to power-cycled my Modem/ Router, which is brand new, but an older model. Arris:Surfboard SBG6580 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway. Went with older model due to not needed fast Internet speeds.

Wasn't sure if this error is important or if I should just disregard it.

Or is there a fix, that I can perform?

My computer is an HP Pavilion 6751c, about 5 years old, Windows 7 Home Edition.

Would appreciate any suggestions or ideas of what this error is and how to deal with it.

Thanks, in advance!

John

Attached Files

Edited by AmericanPharaoh, 06 August 2016 - 12:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

Most of the time, your computer will renew the IP lease, so everything should continue to work :)

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:31 PM

Hello CKing123,

Thank you, for responding so quickly.

So, your saying this is a normal error event and eventually it will correct itself?

John

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yes, unless you consistently get it multiple times in a day, in which case, you would have to look into your router setup.

Lease (DHCP IP) expiring are normal :)

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#5 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:53 PM

Yes, unless you consistently get it multiple times in a day, in which case, you would have to look into your router setup.

Lease (DHCP IP) expiring are normal :)

-CKing

How would I go about looking into my router setup?  Not sure what you mean there.

I took the router out of the box, plugged it in, set the Wireless Security Key...used the MAC Address from the sticker on the Router. Once the lights all came on it started working.

Now there is one thing I did the other day. I upgraded to Windows 10, had a Windows startup issue a few days later due to changing a couple of sticks of Ram which caused the BSOD, guess I had a bad stick of Ram or the new Ram was not compatible. I ended up removing it.  Anyway, a short time later I had a BSOD, and Windows froze. Since, I didn't create a backup, I had to reinstall back too Windows 7 with my manufacturer's OEM installation software.

After all that, I then went into Computer Management, Event Viewer, and found this new error about the IP address. Not sure, if all this has anything to do with the issue.

John

Edited by AmericanPharaoh, 06 August 2016 - 12:55 PM.

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

The router setup is basically found on the router manual. You go to the main IP of the router in your browser, and you would need to login (again look into the manual for the default username and password)

Event viewer lists minor "glitches" and other things that are perfectly fine. Unless you are having problems, I wouldn't worry too much about this

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#7 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

OK, I understand. :)

One other problem I'm having on this new install, IE-11 loads slowly the first time after a reboot. The browser page is blank for 15 to 30 seconds before finally loading.

I have nothing connected to the PC.

I disabled the Antivirus and Firewall. Note: I use MSE and Windows Firewall.

Have not added any new hardware or software.

I ran a full Malware scan. Note: I use Malewarebytes.

I ran "Clean Boot"

I ran SFC and CHKDSK.

I reset the browser, and loaded it without extensions/ add-ons.

Windows Updates are current.

Always, the second time I load the browser... it only takes 3 seconds to load.

No other issues with the PC.

This one has me stumped.

John

Edited by AmericanPharaoh, 06 August 2016 - 01:17 PM.

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:14 PM

What is your disk speed? See, Windows caches the program files when you run it, so the next time you run it, it doesn't have to read the disk making it much faster :) It is called Superfetch. What I like to do is hibernate my computer, so that everything starts up where I left it, and if I close chrome and hibernate, the next time I launch it, since it is still in the cache, it launches quickly

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#9 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:52 PM

It's been a very long time since anyone asked that question.

I remember there was a way to access HDD speed in Device Manager. Unfortunately, I don't remember. Would need to read up on the process, again.

I just downloaded "Speccy" and captured a screenshot of the HDD. Does this information work for you? 

Not sure how to post the screenshot in this reply from my computer pictures. I looked at icon list in the above toolbar, but not seeing it.

"See, Windows caches the program files when you run it, so the next time you run it, it doesn't have to read the disk making it much faster :) It is called SuperFetch."

Would need your help here, never done this. Such as, the steps to take...path.

Here's something I just found about "SuperFetch." However, nothing there explains the process you suggested.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/how-do-i-enable-super-fetch-service-in-windows-7/f1492e7e-5079-e011-9b4b-68b599b31bf5?auth=1

Well, I'm out of time. Will return later to see if you've posted a reply to my concerns.

Thanks,

John

Edited by AmericanPharaoh, 06 August 2016 - 02:21 PM.

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

Though normal for a ip address lease to expire it is NOT normal that it does not do so automatically.  Lease renegotiation starts midway in the lease.

No ipconfig/all from you so we can't tell what the lease time is.  Minimum it should be 24hrs.

The errors only deal with ipv6. Either your "new" router is not configured to do ipv6 dhcp or does not have that feature.  One test to make sure its not the wifi is to connect wired and see if you get a valid ipv6 ip and it sticks. 

"Removed my real address for privacy purposes."

Pointless.  Your private ip address is the same as millions on the planet.  There is no risk.

#11 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:49 PM

@Wand3r3r,

Thanks, for your reply.

I was unable to post a screenshot of my ipconfig/all due to not knowing how to do this here. I did mention with in my last post.

"Not sure how to post the screenshot in this reply from my computer pictures. I looked at icon list in the above toolbar, but not seeing it."

Edit: OK, I looked at my saved photo of ipconfig/all. It shows ipv6 address (Preferred)

Least obtained: Saturday, August 6, 2016  9:26 AM 

Least Expires: Saturday, August 6, 2016  10:26 AM

Another place the least terminates in only 15 minutes.

Your comment: "Minimum it should be 24hrs"

I guess that is why I'm getting this error, not lasting long enough?

John

Edited by AmericanPharaoh, 06 August 2016 - 04:12 PM.

#12 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:34 PM

Router is misconfigured.  Login to it, go the dhcp server page and configure it properly.

15 minutes is ridiculous! :-)

#13 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

@Wand3r3r,

I will work on getting the router configured.

Edit: I called Comcast to get help with the router configuration. They said, call Airris (the manufacturer of the router) They said, if the router is connecting to the Internet and I'm not having any connection issues then there is nothing wrong with the router. LOL

I told them about the address leasing time expiring in one hour of less. That a person from an online help site said, an address lease expiration of 15 minutes was ridiculous. The guy kept saying there is nothing wrong with the router and it's not configurable. I did login to the router at 192.168.0.1. I looked at the DHCP Basic page and DHCP Advanced page and really didn't see anything there to reset. Just a Client List with an option to delete. I'd provide a screenshot of the DHCP pages I saved to my computer pictures files, but have not had my questions answered about how to post screenshots here, yet.

I'm thinking of just sending this router back to amazon and purchase a Netgear Wireless Router, instead. I've had other routers with my Comcast service over the years and never had one give an error of this type in event viewer. When I told the Arris guy that he said, I was thinking too hard, there's nothing wrong with the router. LOL

I guess I'll throw in the towel for this fix.

Thanks, for any help I received.
John

Edited by AmericanPharaoh, 06 August 2016 - 09:36 PM.

#14 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:18 AM

he said, I was thinking too hard

That sure tells you a lot :-(

#15 AmericanPharaoh

AmericanPharaoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 10:03 AM

I've ordered a new Netgear Wireless Router. See, if that will cure the leasing time issue; if not, maybe that one will be configurable. The Arris is going back home to amazon.

Thanks, to all who helped here.
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users