Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS 7 UPDATES PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Unfall-1

Unfall-1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

I have been all over the web and seem to have done everything, but this problem won't be cured.

It began with the March 9 Security Updates download. They did not appear, and WU has been Red Shielding, 08 Error messaging ever since.

My PC's cv: Win 7 HPE 64-bit, SP1. Installed from Disk.

What this comes down to: there seems to be an access problem; I don't have "Permission" to install. The consensus of opinion is that a virus piggybacked [not a rare event] with these last Updates. When I ran the System File Checker the first time, it found 4 KB of bad sectors, which it removed. SFC since then has found no problems.

Occasionally, I've been able to get back to the "green" window, and WU notes/lists the fact that MSE Updates have happened. Absolutely no other Updates are mentioned. Red Shield times, "you have never checked for updates".  I've been able to download Net Frame Updates and those for MS Office, as they are .exe. They list only in Control Panel programs. I Installed a package called 360 [I use this with my VMware XP guest, as MS have abandoned XP support]. 360 can "Patch" Windows Security Updates, albeit a couple of months old. I tried this, and apparently it worked, though where the updates went after MS configured them, who knows. 

I tried PC World's fix, using the Install disk to do an Upgrade repair. It couldn't download any Updates and encountered "an error" and wouldn't proceed. The only step left is to use the disk to erase C: and start from there; a daunting proposition.

The only 3rd-Party fixes seem to be pay 30 Bucks for a hyped-up registry cleaner.

Any ideas, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:12 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer

Just to confirm the last step you did was a Windows Repair Install? did it worked till the end without problems?

What is the Internet Explorer version you have installed now?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Unfall-1

Unfall-1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:20 AM

If you look, you will see that I said none of the reinstall/repair/upgrade attempts worked*. I just want to find out what MS won't tell me - what is preventing Update from working?

* The install disk is from 2009. Repair from Boot disks, even from my other pc, won't work, either.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:25 AM

If you look, you will see that I said none of the reinstall/repair/upgrade attempts worked*. I just want to find out what MS won't tell me - what is preventing Update from working?

* The install disk is from 2009. Repair from Boot disks, even from my other pc, won't work, either.

Ok, please tell me the Internet Explorer version you have now its important to know before deciding the next move.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 Unfall-1

Unfall-1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:12 AM

O.K. It is Win 7 HPE 64-bit, with SP1, and has been since 2011, when I had to reinstall from this disk.

HISTORY: as usual, the HP pc had Win 7 installed on it when I bought it [new] in 2009. I had bought a disk set earlier to upgrade my other [32-bit] pc from XP, so I had a 64-bit repair when this pc under question got a hideous install problem through downloading a driver from its creator [Radeon].

Anyway, the re-install worked then.

I can't even do an Install repair from Upgrade now.

Everything else on this pc is working fine. Please re-read my original query. I really only wanted some advice on how to repair Windows Update, as all the web-based information is 2009-12 vintage.

#6 Unfall-1

Unfall-1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:53 AM

I have something to add. This disk repair has to be started from within WINDOWS. It cannot proceed because it needs to download Updates. I spent one-and-a-half hours waiting [it should be about 20 minutes] and nothing proceeded. If my present WINDOWS cannot download the required Updates, then this disk, using the same software on the pc, cannot, either. So I'm stuck.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

O.K. It is Win 7 HPE 64-bit, with SP1, and has been since 2011, when I had to reinstall from this disk.

HISTORY: as usual, the HP pc had Win 7 installed on it when I bought it [new] in 2009. I had bought a disk set earlier to upgrade my other [32-bit] pc from XP, so I had a 64-bit repair when this pc under question got a hideous install problem through downloading a driver from its creator [Radeon].

Anyway, the re-install worked then.

I can't even do an Install repair from Upgrade now.

Everything else on this pc is working fine. Please re-read my original query. I really only wanted some advice on how to repair Windows Update, as all the web-based information is 2009-12 vintage.

If you don't answer my questions I would not be able to help you!

___
Rui

#8 Unfall-1

Unfall-1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:33 AM

It's IE11, the only version one can use with Win 7. What has that to do with it?

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:53 AM

It's IE11, the only version one can use with Win 7. What has that to do with it?

When you do a Repair install the IE version is revert to version 6 so its important to install at least the same IE version you have before or newer.

Follow this guide How to Update Windows 7 All at Once with Microsofts Convenience Rollup

Before starting the update process change the Windows Update configuration to Never check for Updates and Restart the Computer. If you don't do this the installation of Updates will get stuck for ever searching for updates.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users