Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD problem?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sLnMeGusta

sLnMeGusta

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

Hello, as of today I was trying to download 42gb file onto my external 1TB drive and I started running into issue that USB ports disconnect. What I've managed to locate is that the size of the file mattered since i downloaded a smaller file without any problems. I looked up the event log and there are tons of event id 140 being created when this happens in addition to some 48 i think cant really remember the correct number as I'm  writing this. Any help on solving this or should I format/ send drive for warranty replacement? The HDD is Samsung M3 1TB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

I would first see if you can download a large file with the drive connected to a different computer. The drive is formatted NTFS, correct?

If the drive will not copy a large file on another computer and the drive is formatted NTFS download Seatools for Windows and do the short/long tests.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/202435en

#3 sLnMeGusta

sLnMeGusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

Yeah its NTFS i dont have an opportunity to connect it to other pc is there any other way to test it?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

Other than using Seatools to check the drive, do you have another external drive you can transfer a large file to? If Seatools for Windows says the drive is good then I would have to assume the problem is with the USB ports. Have you tried transferring a large file on each available USB port?

What OS are you using?

#5 sLnMeGusta

sLnMeGusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

I'm using Windows 10 don't I will run seatools and see what comes up

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:09 PM

If the drive checks okay we can try copying a large file using a live linux disk. If the file transfers okay then you know it a Windows problem. 

Is USB selective suspend disabled?

#7 sLnMeGusta

sLnMeGusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Hmm theres a weird thing. I'm testing right now. The short tests were OK now doing the long ones. But what is weird is that there are 2 M3 disks showing up instead of 1. Is this how it should be? 1 is USB and the other is SAS-SCSI-FC

P.S. yea selective suspend disabled. Thats the first thing i did when i ran into this problem today.

Edited by sLnMeGusta, 06 August 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:44 PM

SAS is Serial Attached SCSI but I'm not sure why that is. If this is your drive it's supposed to be Serial ATA.

#9 sLnMeGusta

sLnMeGusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:58 PM

The serial seems to be the same for both of them just one ends with 000 and another ends with 000065

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

You might want to contact Seagate which has purchased Samsung on why you are getting the SAS listing. I have a portable WD that would create a virtual CD in firmware. It showed up in Device Manager under my optical drivers but I doubt Samsung is doing that.

http://samsunghdd.seagate.com/

#11 sLnMeGusta

sLnMeGusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 01:46 AM

Well the scan finished and both of the drives passed.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:25 AM

"...I was trying to download 42gb file onto my external 1TB drive..."

Where you downloading from the internet onto an external HD?  Or, where you copying from internal HD to external HD?

I'm a little bit of an old school geek concerning folders and files.  I'm trying to understand what was supposed to happen and what is currently happening.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 sLnMeGusta

sLnMeGusta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:57 AM

like downloading using torrent and destination is in the external drive

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:20 AM

like downloading using torrent and destination is in the external drive

Don't replace hard-drive - yet.  Situation might be software operations.  If I understand Torrent operations, it is much like GetRight's operations, both attempt having, how do I properly phrase this?, multi-locations bringing multi-pieces of a file, onto the hard-drive.  In the past, I have used GetRight because of its "built-in torrent," ability.  Do I comprehend, understand, what you're having the computer doing?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:27 AM

Quoting directly from Google

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+an+event+id+140%3F&rlz=1C1VSNC_enUS601US601&oq=what+is+an+event+id+140%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57.5269j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The data contains the error code. Event ID140 NTFS Warning. The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId:<> DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume<>.(A device which does not exist was specified.). Event ID: 157 Disk Warning.May 26, 2015

I still do not know what an event id 140 exactly means.  sLnMeGusta, if I can cough up a solution, I'll post it.  For now, I have to dig up some GetRight and Torrent info.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 August 2016 - 03:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users