Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Power Consumption Plex Build But Able To Transcode Up To 6 Streams At Once?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GameGuru

GameGuru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

Ok my current Plex server is also my main PC I use for schoolwork and gaming and it consumes a lot of power since I leave it running 24/7 (current PC is in my signature) so I would like to build a new system just for my Plex server but I do have some requirements.

First criteria ... it has to be able to transcode up to six streams simultaneously.  I share my server with up to eight people and on average I only have four connections max but I did have five several times and my current PC never had an issue so I would like a CPU to be able to do up to six (just in case).  I am sure I will need to go Intel as it is more energy effecient (my FX-6300 has a TDP of 95w) an I know the Intel Core i5 3570K is similar in performance to my FX-6300 with a TDP of 77w and I was wondering if anyone has any info on how many streams this CPU can transcode at once?

Second, do I need discrete graphics at all with Plex or is it 100% CPU?  I would love to just go integrated to save power.

Third, how much RAM would I need for a Plex box?  Does RAM even play a factor at all or could I use just 4GB comfortably? 

I am planning on building this in a Cooler Master Elite 100 case which will house three 4TB Seagate NAS drives.  How big a powersupply should I get for this build?  Would a 400w be more than efficient?

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GameGuru

GameGuru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

Oh and should I go Windows 10 or the lastest version of Ubuntu?

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:17 PM

If you remote in to your plex server, you will not need discrete graphics. Otherwise yes.
I don't know a lot about plex.
For that build, I would recommend probably a 500w psu.
Definitely use ubuntu. It will be more efficient and in 3 years won't ask you to upgrade to windows 11. :)

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users