Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logitech k830 and Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eric231

Eric231

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

I am new to Linux and do not have much experience. I am going to do the best I can to explain my issue so please be patient with me. I am running Ubuntu 16.04 with a Logitech K830 wireless kybd. This is not a synaptics touchpad and when I use two finger scroll, stop and lift my fingers from the pad, it will then scroll several pages more. It's almost as if I was using a mouse wheel what has an off center oval wheel that continues to rotates a few pages. It does not always do it but most times it does. Also the touch sensitivity is extreme and hardware mouse and touchpad settings have no option o change sensitivity settings. Most of the time I don't even know that my finger has touched the track pad and I am jumping all over the place. This is very frustrating and need help. Same thing happens with Synaptic track pads also but I like the K830 because the track pad is more like the Mac in that it is smooth textured. 

xinput list

Virtual core pointer                     id=2 [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer               id=4 [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Logitech USB Receiver                   id=10 [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Logitech K830                           id=11 [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             id=5 [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                             id=6 [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                             id=7 [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                             id=8 [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Logitech USB Receiver  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

G'day Eric231, and Welcome to BC

While I have not had a Logitech keyboards issues to wrestle with....I have had weird experiences with Logitech mice

A logitech mx revolution was the culprit.

I moved from windows 10 to Linux, and everything was really good...with the exception of the mouse.

I tried for weeks and weeks to find suitable drivers or workarounds..all to no avail.

I ended up buying a Roccat mouse....and have been a happy camper since.

I suspect your keyboard is having the same type of problem.....the drivers available are just not doing the job. From my experience the likelihood of finding suitable drivers are nil

Update...i have just read here  that the keyboard is supported in Linux.

The keyboard is supported under Linux. The wireless connection is established by the Logitech Unifying Receiver, which is standard for most of Logitech’s wireless devices. It has the USB ID 046d:c52b

READ HERE

If you have questions about how to interpret/use the info there.....open a fresh topic,...I am not sufficiently clever to do that for you.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:27 PM

Sadly stuff like this is common in linux, what works fine in windows doesnt always work in linux.

This is most true of graphics cards and some devices like keyboards and trackpads.

There is indeed a tradeoff and its best to see what devices work well under linux before installing it.

In many ways its like owning a Mac which also has thew same issues, though Linux hardware support is much better in many areas.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#4 Eric231

Eric231
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:34 AM

G'day Eric231, and Welcome to BC

While I have not had a Logitech keyboards issues to wrestle with....I have had weird experiences with Logitech mice

A logitech mx revolution was the culprit.

I moved from windows 10 to Linux, and everything was really good...with the exception of the mouse.

I tried for weeks and weeks to find suitable drivers or workarounds..all to no avail.

I ended up buying a Roccat mouse....and have been a happy camper since.

I suspect your keyboard is having the same type of problem.....the drivers available are just not doing the job. From my experience the likelihood of finding suitable drivers are nil

Update...i have just read here  that the keyboard is supported in Linux.

The keyboard is supported under Linux. The wireless connection is established by the Logitech Unifying Receiver, which is standard for most of Logitech’s wireless devices. It has the USB ID 046d:c52b

READ HERE

If you have questions about how to interpret/use the info there.....open a fresh topic,...I am not sufficiently clever to do that for you.

@Condobloke

Thank you very much for the help, the keyboard seems to be working great for now. I am sure that these kind of issues will become less over time as more people switch away from Windows and more manufactures see the logic in making proper software that works across multiple platforms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users