Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing fresh copy of win 7 hard drive error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 patai3295

patai3295

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

I have a hard drive that came stock with windows 10.. trying to install windows 7 on it but i keep getting this error cant be installed cause partition is GPT style.. i have easeUS master 10 tried looking everywhere in there to make a regular partition cant seem to figure it out.. any advice on what im doing wrong here? thanks appreciate the help guys

Attached Files

Edited by patai3295, 06 August 2016 - 10:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

Are you trying to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 or do you just want 7 on the computer?

What is the make and model of the computer?

Does it only have one disk?

#3 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:25 AM

no single boot with only win 7 and yes one HDD . the hard drive came out of a ASUS model m32bf .. i was trying to do this for a friend and then this error happened so i sent him home with one of my working hard drives w a OS on it already till i could figure out and fix his hard drive

Edited by patai3295, 06 August 2016 - 10:26 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

Just to confirm, the Windows 7 install will be on the ASUS?

The issue can arise if you try to install Windows 7 to a GPT disk on a computer that does not support UEFI. A GPT disk requires UEFI in order to boot. If the computer it will be installed on has a regular BIOS or UEFI has been set to Legacy or CSM mode Windows will not install on a GPT disk.

The simplest way around this is to zero wipe the disk then start the install again. You can zero wipe using Easeus or use the diskpart command. A Windows 7 install disk (DVD) cannot boot on a UEFI enabled computer. You would need to create an iso from the disk using Imgburn then Rufus to create a bootable UEFI enabled flash drive.

#5 patai3295

patai3295
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

i was reading about that with the UEFI and the bios settings still was alil confusing to me.. but i do have a win 7 bootable usb that i use. and the fresh copy of win 7 that im trying to do will be for the ASUS so im guessing i have to see if that computer is set to legacy or csm mode? ive tried wiping the drive in easeus .. then create new partition then format.. but it always comes back GPT style cant get it out

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

Don't create any partitions. Install Windows to a blank hard drive. It will automatically create the partitions and format them. Zero out the drive. How did you create the USB installer. The only utility that I know of that will boot Windows 7 on a UEFI/GPT computer is Rufus. You probably are using 64bit but 32bit cannot boot from UEFI/GPT.

This is how I would accomplish the install. I have this model and it is a UEFI computer. First, create a bootable USB drive using Rufus. In the Partition scheme dropdown box select GPT scheme. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Windows 7 iso file.

Zero out the drive with Easeus or use the below clean all command. 

Make sure UEFI is enabled

Boot the USB flash drive. I believe tapping F8 at boot will give you a boot menu where you can select the USB flash drive or make sure USB is the first boot device.

At the first screen that lists language press Shift + F10 which will bring up a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart   This brings up the diskpart prompt

list disk

select disk 0  This will be zero if the computer has one drive

clean all          This has the same affect as zeroing the drive with Easeus. If you do not wish to use Easeus then use this command. This will take awhile on a large drive

convert GPT

exit       exits out of diskpart

exit       exits out of command prompt

Continue with the install

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users